Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3/8 ths Expansion Question
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:20 pm 
New User

I have just finished (07/25) laying down an engineered hardwood floor (15'x15'). I removed the floor moulding, because my wife wants to change them anyway. So, I layed the floor with 3/8" shims all the way around the room. The floor is the snap/click lock type ... no glue.

Now, my wife has not yet picked-out the floor moulding yet, and I was wondering when I should remove the shims from the floor? I have not removed them yet.

Should I wait until I install the floor moulding? I may not have them for a week or two?

Gino.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:15 pm 
Prized Contributor

Take them out now.

They have served their purpose and now it is time to tell them bye-bye. They are not going to be there when the trim gets installed, and you don't want to fasten the trim to the floor, and lock it in.

I have heard of floaters buckling overnite after the installation was done and the spacers left in, like you did. I think Ken Fisher was telling us that years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:20 pm 
New User

Thanks! Getting them out right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:10 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I have heard of floaters buckling overnite after the installation was done and the spacers left in

Yep, happened to me. Arrived one morning to find part of the installation was 4 inches off the subfloor. Scared me to death. While I was installing the builder was right behind me protecting the floors with cardboard and craft paper lapped up the walls. I didn't realize the wedges were still in there.

Of course this probably wouldn't have happened had the AC been on--but that's sometimes a story that can't be won with builders. The floor took on moisture and expanded right away. Wedges came out and most of it relaxed. Still had to cut an expansion area in the floor. I think it was something like 2,000 sf. This was before I realized one needed expansion areas(break points) on large floating floor layouts or increase the perimeter expansion area.

I would suggest when you do install the trim check to make sure the floor hasn't moved and butted against the base or drywall--they will without furniture and enough traffic.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:54 am 
New User

Thanks Ken. I did throw back some furniture into the room. But I will check the gap anyway. But i guess this begs the question ... What happens if I find the floor has moved and butted up against one wall, and the 3/8 inch gap doubled against the other? Start over again?