Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tigerwood Question
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:30 am 
Newbie Contributor

I have read around the forum for a while now,haven`t had to ask for advice until now...I have been finishing floors since `88,and never sanded Tigerwood.Can anybody offer me advice on what kind of filler to use and what kind of finish should be used?
I have been using OMU 99% of the time,water on an occasional job, Precision Swedish a few times.I have heard that some species have alot of resin in the wood,which can cause adhesion problems with OMU.Is there truth to that?If so does Tigerwood fall into that catagory?
I mostly sand 40,60,100.
Edge 50,100.
Then screen 120.
Is this acceptable for this type of job.It`s 700 sq.ft. going natural.I want to do it right the first time...
All the years of finishing I have not done very many exotics. Any advice will be appreciated!

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:55 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

To be on the safe side, follow this finishing suggestion:
* Your sanding schedule sounds fine
* Use Zinsser's SealCoat or Park's Universal Sealer as a first seal coat. They are the same product. It's a wax free shellac and bonds exceptional well to those difficult woods. A few tips. Apply a thin, even coat. It dries fast so you need to be accurate and quick. Don't attempt to buff it. After dry, about one hour under ideal conditions, apply the type of finish of your choice, OMU or waterbased. Then when that coat is dry, you can screen (buff) that.
Another option is to use your Precision acid curing finish. But before applying, wash the floor with acetone or laquer thinner, to remove oils. Make every effort to seal floor the same day you do the final sand so as to not let the oils rise and pool on the surface.