Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Time to panic??
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:39 pm 
New User

I am having my red oak floors refinished. The floor guy put down MinWax stain, which was supposed to be followed by 3 coats of oil-based poly. The last cost was put down yesterday and I was told the house would be done today.

He called this morning to tell me that he forgot to put the heat on in our house when he left yesterday (we are in Midwest and it's in the 60s) so he thought the floor hadn't fully dried. He described "shiny spots" on the floor. He said it probably just wasn't fully dry but that the last coat may need to be sanded down and redone. He said we'd know one way or the other the tomorrow.

He asked me to check on the house tonight, which I did. The house was warm but I could still see a big shiny spot in one room. Also, there were small bubbles in the finish in just a few areas.

I checked the garage and was a little upset to see several different 5 gallon buckets of poly by different manufacturers there.

Also, the stain on the stair case took about 2-3 shades darker than on the floor. This was true before when we first moved into the house so I wonder if it a different wood species and there's good reasons n the stain took differently.

Anyhoo, with all this said, should I be worried that this guy does rent know what he's doing? I'm usually a stickler for details but I could live with the few bubbles so long as it's not an early warning sign of worse things to come ... like peeling finish. Appreciate any advice

Profile E-mail