Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tinted waterbased bona amberseal
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:00 pm 
New User

Has anyone attempted applying bona's amberseal with waterbased stain added. I've done this successfully in the past on a small kitchen, but recently attempted on a much larger floor and have had horrible results. Any tips on avoiding a resand would be greatly appreciated!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Tinted waterbased bona amberseal
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:15 pm 
Valued Contributor

I never tried that but it sounds like something that would not work based on what I have seen over the years. If what you have looks blotchy or is de laminating, chances are , there is no way to fix it which means you'll have to re sand.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Tinted waterbased bona amberseal
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:28 am 
Newbie Contributor

jmhlavac wrote:
Has anyone attempted applying bona's amberseal with waterbased stain added. I've done this successfully in the past on a small kitchen, but recently attempted on a much larger floor and have had horrible results. Any tips on avoiding a resand would be greatly appreciated!

I've never been a fan of tinted poly, amberseal or otherwise for anything larger than a spot coat. We use Amberseal somewhat frequently, for customers wanting the oil look with the water based benefits. However, the first coat of Amberseal requires a skilled recoater in most situations. One mistake and you are sanding out lines and reapplying it.

To it's benefit, it is pretty easy to fix, but the fact that most of the jobs that aren't a simple square room require some level of "adjustment" and a second coat of amberseal, I'd rather use quick coat neutral from Duraseal and put waterbase over it. Amberseal is a short cut product that is only a shortcut in the proper hands....ones that aren't hurried.

Profile E-mail