Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: tongue and groove not in the center of old flooring
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:03 am 
New User

i recently decided to fix up the old house and redo the old hardwoods , i ordered some raw 3/4 oak flooring to lace in a 30 square foot patch that someone really
messed up , well i go to put in the new wood and it is a 1/16 below the old floor , it took me a bit to figure it out , the tongue and groove on the old flooring is not in the center like on the new flooring it is offset to one side , so the new unsanded floor is already below grade , thus a 1/16 proud underneath, any ideas ???????????

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: tongue and groove not in the center of old flooring
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:07 am 
Valued Contributor

mikev wrote:
i recently decided to fix up the old house and redo the old hardwoods , i ordered some raw 3/4 oak flooring to lace in a 30 square foot patch that someone really
messed up , well i go to put in the new wood and it is a 1/16 below the old floor , it took me a bit to figure it out , the tongue and groove on the old flooring is not in the center like on the new flooring it is offset to one side , so the new unsanded floor is already below grade , thus a 1/16 proud underneath, any ideas ???????????

Are the new boards and old boards the same thickness? In either case what I would do is re-tongue and re-groove the new boards to match the old boards. This could be done on a Table Saw or Table Saw and Router Table. To re-tongue: cut off the existing tongue, cut a groove that matches the old boards, glue in a spline/slip tongue. To re-groove: fill the existing groove with a spline/slip tongue and cut it off square, cut a new groove that matches the old boards. Depending on the width of the old boards' tongues and grooves doing this on a table saw could be tricky whereas it might be easier on a router table . There are specific router bits for making flooring tongues and grooves, but a slot cutting bit will also work.
If the new and old boards aren't the same thickness you will have to deal with this too.....new boards thinner- build up the sub floor....new boards thicker-plane or sand down the new boards.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:54 pm 
Prized Contributor

Start sanding by going diagonally across where the new and old flooring blend together. This will help even out the difference in height. Then go with the direction of the gain after you smooth the area around the patch.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:22 am 
New User

Thanks for the ideas, what i did was just open the groove up by shaving some off the bottom of the groove and shaved the top tongue down where it met the old floor, i did put down two layers of 30lb felt to shim it up a bit. The boards were the same thickness just old boards were off center, the main problem was that it was picking up the old ones because of them being a 1/16 below , but that fixed it right up and was able to just lay the rest as normal. Thanks again

Profile E-mail