Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tongue Splitting, 2in cleats: flushed or slightly indented?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:12 am 
Newbie Contributor

Hello everyone. I’m getting ready to lay down my unfinish ¾ hickory with a new General Pneumatic flooring nailer using 16ga 2in cleats (Dewalt brand if it makes a difference). Also, I am using 16ga Bostitch finish nailer and compressor. Testing the pressure, I run in some problems. The cleats are either not fully setting at 75 PSI or splitting the tongue at 80 PSI. I tried somewhere in between but I can’t get a consistent nailing. Any suggestions? Next, I will try staples and perhaps a different brand of cleats.

How deep does the cleat has to be with the tongue? Flashed or slightly indented? I can't get it flushed :(

I will top nail and blind nail the first row. Same question here: how deep do I want the top nail so I can fill the head hole in? 1-2mm?

Someone here suggested a 60degree blind nailing and that works like a charm. The 45degree was not setting the nail completely. Thank you very much for that

Thx again

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Tongue Splitting, 2in cleats: flushed or slightly indented?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:56 pm 
Prized Contributor

Cleats typically have a blunt tip and aren't very wide so they will not do too much damage to the edge of the board. I have never noticed a split to worry about.
The head of the cleat should be flush with the top of the groove. If it projects just a little it will be OK because the groove has an eased edge where it meets with the fastener and will give when butted up.
Top nailing with a finish nailer should set the nail at lest an eighth inch or 3mm so sanding doesn't expose a "shiner" when sanded to remove the over wood and milling marks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:03 am 
Newbie Contributor

"I have never noticed a split to worry about."

Thx Pete for your input. I guess as a novice I'm not sure what degree of spitting is acceptable. Even when the cleat does not fully set I see some splitting. See pictures if I can get it to upload. So of the 3 pictures, what degree of splitting should I be worry about? Thx

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:44 pm 
Prized Contributor

If you fasten the board down close to the end of a board you may get what looks like a split. The cleat will still hold. A round nail or staple can spread the grain so that the fastener does not hold especially when the fastener is set too deep. The shape of a cleat makes them easy to drive when going with the grain. The "barbed"
shape holds better than a smooth shank.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:05 am 
New User

You can try Ryobi 16 Gauge Finish Nailer for the best result
https://nailersnow.com/ryobi-p325-review/

Profile E-mail