Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Too many dents, too easily dented
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:46 am 
New User

My new floor is being redone by the installers that made a mess of the 1st time.

I believe the floor is too soft for it to be durable. I believe the installer has a relationship with the retailer, and is doing this to be pd in full.
I accidentally dropped a tuna can, and it made a big dent. I did ask when I purchased the floor as to durability, the common answer seems to be "don't wear high heel spikes"
I also found out the retailer has had issues before with purchasing floors from China with unacceptable formaldehyde levels and knowingly sold the flooring here.
I bought a Schon mezzo mahogany engineered hardwood, made in China. The retailer bought the warranty from the manufacturer, and the response I get is, to buy a repair kit for the scents and scratches, its common for wood floors to do this
I didn't buy the cheapest floor, it was one of the higher priced, went on sale and I took it. I do notice it is not available in those stores anymore, maybe they pulled it?
I don't know what to do, it seems with wood flooring there is no recourse?
Am I correct with that observation?

New Jersey

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Too many dents, too easily dented
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:50 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Unfortunately, most prefinished floors are only warrantied against wear-through and delamination. I am sure they consider scratches and dents part of normal wear and tear and are aspects that can be prevented through more careful use of their product.
I don't know of any recourse.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:36 am 
Newbie Contributor

Mahogany is a very soft wood. Might be ok for a den, or other low traffic area but I'd never use it in a kitchen. Personally, I don't like the idea of buying exotic woods from places like China for a multitude of reasons. Plenty of good places to buy quality wood flooring produced domestically.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:13 pm 
Prized Contributor

All to often these places put the Janka hardness on the ad and that does not apply on engineered, only solid. It can give you an idea of the hardness of the surface ply however the underlying plies might be a softer wood, the veneer to thin to make a difference. The impact will most likley dent anything. So in a way thats misleading the public at best.
I did recently speak to a LL customer who claimed she got a refund of $1,800.00 for a floor issue similar to yours. Keep pressing the issue and do some homework.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail