Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Too many short boards, bad installation?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:16 pm 
New User

I need opinions, I am a homeowner who had new floors installed. Seems to me there are way to many short boards in a run. These are all over my floors, some have 4 short pieces next to each other..
Any advice, comments will be appreciated.

https://we.tl/s-yMp1365TSY

Post subject: Re: Too many short boards, bad installation?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:42 pm 
Valued Contributor

Select and #1 common grades need to have an average length over two feet long to be within the requirements of Hardwood Floor Associations.Depending on the manufacturer, they can grade it however they like if they are not a member. You may not have known what to expect from this manufacturer, but the installation does not look bad. We try to use shorter boards for the starting and finishing of the rows. Sometimes a closet will get slammed with shorter boards to use them up. There is no requirement that the boards be spaced out evenly, it is up to the installer to make a pleasing looking floor with the material on hand. If there was a lot of all short boards next to the ending wall just to use them up, this would be a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:19 am 
Newbie Contributor

Its a price point thing - if you pay more money, you will usually get longer boards. Depends on the manufacturer.

Aside from aesthetics, the biggest issue with having lots of shorter planks is that it increases the number of joints across your floor. In a floating install, this can lead to excessive noise when walking if the RH in the space is out by +/- 10% of the recommended for that material. The short planks perform better when glued down, but since that's more costly than floating, you almost never see it.

And yes, a more diligent installer could have spaced those out better. Depends on how much extra material he had to work with (did you buy the recommended 6-10% extra for cutting allowance for example)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:55 am 
Site Admin

Considering what the guy may have had to work with I think it's okay. I can see possible frustration with the three shorts in one row.

Pete mentions closets. Yep, that's a good place, but perhaps there was an overwhelming number of shorts. May we ask the price paid for the material?