Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Too much stain and tung oil leaves floor tacky
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:59 am 
New User

Hello,

We had another person do a wood redo in the livingroom. The stain was not wiped off but left to set on the floor for two days. At that point, they used tung oil with steel wool and then buffed. They did this twice with the tung oil.
The floor is tacky and has an over all bad feel to it. I know the floor can't be sanded again and redone. It was redone already when we let this person do the floor. I know.... Stupid...
But my question is since it is a floating wood floor....the pieces are smaller. Can't we just take mineral spirits over each section til the left over product is gone and once those are dry, polyurethane each piece? Will this solve the problem?

Vee

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Too much stain and tung oil leaves floor tacky
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:41 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Not enough info to give a comprehensive solution. Sometimes, buffing with an abrasive pad and/or a mild solvent will remove the finish and stain. The person/s who did this did it incorrectly, sounds like. Are you saying it cannot be sanded again because the top veneer is too thin? If so, then chemical stripping is the only option. Start with the mildest. There are safe strippers but they take time and are expensive. Once all the existing finish and stain are removed, the floor needs to be lightly sanded either by hand or with a buffer. Then re-stained and finished correctly.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:39 pm 
New User

The floor is literally tacky. Like product is still sitting on the surface and cured. It has been a week now. I am afraid that sanding will only gum up an already sticky floor. So I am thinking of something similar to mineral spirits to take the excess product off that is settling on the top.
Vee

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:03 am 
Prized Contributor

Ya, start by washing this floor down with mineral spirits. With enough rags and elbow grease, you will be able to remove the offending tung oil.
Remember to dispose of these rags properly, or you will potentially not need to clean these floors.
Once stripped and dry you could lightly hand buff the floor with 180 grit paper and apply a coat of urethane; or more, but dont forget to buff between coats as well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:05 am 
Prized Contributor

Yes, be very careful with the rags you use to clean it all off, after you use them. The solvents can spontaneously combustion, and start a fire. Lay them out in the driveway separated and let the solvents off gas.