Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Transition between rooms
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:09 pm 
Hi,

First, let me say that this board is great. I am placing hardwoods on the entire first floor. Half of my first floor has joists running one way and half the other. Now my question, since I am placing the hardwoods perpendicular to the joists, do I need to leave a space (and put in a t molding) where the hardwoods transition from one direction in one room to a different direction in another or can I butt the two together (of course leaving an expansion space at the end near the wall)?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:43 pm 
Butt them together. Although one should run solid flooring at right angled to joists, there are ways to keep the flooring all running the same direction, if that is what you want. One way is to install 2x4 blocking 16" oc between the joists. Another is to overlay 1/2" plywood (CDX is fine) over the existing subfloor. If you do this, you can run the flooring any direction you want. I do this occasionally when the sub floors are either in crappy condition, springy, running paralell to joists, bouncy, or non approved sub floor material (p board), etc. Does increase cost but solves lots of problem sub floors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:45 pm 
Prized Contributor

I wouldn't butt them, unless it is an engineered cross-ply board your installing.

Solids will always swell in the width, they don't start growing again in the length, after being cut and dead.

"T" molding with expansion space beneath!!!