Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Transition Floor to Tile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:15 pm 
New User

I'm getting ready to install HW floors in my house. As part of my prep I had to install an additional 1/2" of plywood over the 3/4" OSB as my joists are 24" OC. This puts me in a situation I've not dealt with before, the couple times I've installed HW floors.

The flooring I'm installing is 9/16" thick Bamboo.
With the additional sub floor added, the sub floor sits an 1/8" below the tile in the kitchen & bathrooms.

The matching reducer is 9/16" thick so it wouldn't work to transition down to the tile as it would sit above the HW.
The sales associate suggested a T Mold and installing it an angle, which I think looks kind of awkward and unprofessional.

My thought was to still use the T Mold, rip a 7/16" strip off a piece of flooring and glue it to the bottom of the T Mold, finished side out. Then install with that supported side above the tile.

Wondering if anyone else has run into this situation or has any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Transition Floor to Tile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:58 am 
Valued Contributor

sboisvert74 wrote:
I'm getting ready to install HW floors in my house. As part of my prep I had to install an additional 1/2" of plywood over the 3/4" OSB as my joists are 24" OC. This puts me in a situation I've not dealt with before, the couple times I've installed HW floors.

The flooring I'm installing is 9/16" thick Bamboo.
With the additional sub floor added, the sub floor sits an 1/8" below the tile in the kitchen & bathrooms.

The matching reducer is 9/16" thick so it wouldn't work to transition down to the tile as it would sit above the HW.
The sales associate suggested a T Mold and installing it an angle, which I think looks kind of awkward and unprofessional.

My thought was to still use the T Mold, rip a 7/16" strip off a piece of flooring and glue it to the bottom of the T Mold, finished side out. Then install with that supported side above the tile.

Wondering if anyone else has run into this situation or has any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

How about making your own transition reducer from a piece(s) of your 9/16" flooring by removing 1/8" from the bottom. Lay this on the tile abutting the flooring. Cut a 15 degree chamfer along the top of the tile side edge of this transition reducer so it 'ramps' down onto the bamboo....thinnest part of ramp should be no less than 1/4"
If you want to go the T molding route in order to cover the edges of the tile and abutting flooring you may want to make it wider so that you've got a 1/4" ramp down thickness resting on the hardwood and a "ramp" down to a 1/4" thickness on the tile. I say wider because the height difference will be almost 3/4".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Transition Floor to Tile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:28 pm 
Prized Contributor

Since you are adding a half inch ply to your sub-floor you could add a one eighth inch shim under the ply next to the tile so you will be able to use a factory reducer strip. Check with a straight-edge to make sure that you are still within a quarter-inch in ten feet tolerance for flatness so you will have a warrantee, if this is a requirement of the flooring manufacturer.

Profile E-mail