Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Transition idea - Tile higher than hardwood
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:10 pm 
New User

I just finished installing hardwoods in our dining room. Where the dining room meets the kitchen, the tile in the kitchen is approximately 1/4 inch higher than the hardwoods. How can I make this transition. The tile ends are not exactly even, and the hardwood and tile are not exactly square to each other. A T-molding would work great if they were same height, but with the different heights I'm at a loss. Please help! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:19 pm 
Valued Contributor

Try a hardwood reducer that ties the tile down to the wood. THis would be placed on top of the wood flooring up to the ceramic tile edge.
1/4"??
This may be too thin, but worth a try and you may have to have this milled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:20 am 
Worthy Contributor

With the tile edges not being exactly even. I would try and create a transition that would overlay the tile flooring. And be nailed into the hardwood.

The easiest design is to have a mill shop create this transition. the tapered edges should be no thiner than 1/8" thick to avoid splintering. I would overlap the tile and be sure the lip is resting on it to give it supporting strength.

If you are interested in creating your own transition rather than contracting that out. I have other ideas. Though it should cost you less than 50 bucks to have someone else do it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:40 pm 
Valued Contributor

Barquios wrote:
With the tile edges not being exactly even. I would try and create a transition that would overlay the tile flooring. And be nailed into the hardwood.

The easiest design is to have a mill shop create this transition. the tapered edges should be no thiner than 1/8" thick to avoid splintering. I would overlap the tile and be sure the lip is resting on it to give it supporting strength.

If you are interested in creating your own transition rather than contracting that out. I have other ideas. Though it should cost you less than 50 bucks to have someone else do it.

Barq,

Might this be a bit thin to be strong enough? I was thinking along the same lines but considered thickness to be an issue..
Your name reminds me of my Favorite Barq's Root Beer :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:38 am 
Worthy Contributor

I agree with your assessment of the thickness of the material overlapping.

It should be perhaps 3/16", but could be chamfered down to a 1/8" at the edge.

I often take a piece of 3/4" strip flooring and will rip the bottom off of the female side and then chamfer to 1/8" or less. This then can overlap other flooring material. The groove would have to be deepened to accommodate and acceptable expansion space if it is laid with the floor not just as a transition strip.

Profile E-mail