Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Truck vs Cargo Van
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:43 pm 
New User

Which is better, truck or cargo van?

I think a cargo van will be better than a pickup b/c of extra space to advertise on the sides, keep everything dry, and better theft protection.

What does everyone else use?

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

I never understood why some guys in this business use a pickup truck, yet they do. Must be the cost involved? Van gets a strong vote here.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:12 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I have a truck a regret not getting a cargo van every day I work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:15 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I'm not in the trade, but I too prefer vans over trucks. I have an E350 that I tow with and it is great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:52 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

We started out with a truck 'cause it's all we had. We're now on our second cargo van and we can't imagine how we ever managed with a truck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:35 pm 
New User

Do you guys have any custom shelves/storage bins in your van or truck? I'd appreciate any advice on building/buying a good shelving setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:05 pm 
Prized Contributor

I have a truck, because I hate vans and I use it for more then just floors and it is also my personal get around ride. I have an enclosed Wells Cargo Trailer, if I need the room. I also have the wifes truck, and use it to run around when she is home and not planning on going anywhere.

Also, a van means leaving tools, lots of tools and stuff inside loaded for the go. All your stuff. That also invites thieves, unless your parked in a secure garage. I unload my truck every night, and load it every morning with what I need. The back seat folded down in the supercab, holds all my tools & stuff needed, along with more space in the bed box across the front of the bed. If I need to stay dry hauling wood to the job, the enclosed box trailer works great. I can even leave it parked on the job, if needed. Lots of space to advertise on a box trailer, sitting in the driveway of your client.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:11 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I have a truck and tow a enclosed trailer to each job. I don't have to load everything up every night and the trailer sits at the job until it is complete. Saves on gas from not having to have the extra weight of everything in a van. And most vans(unless a box van) would not fit everything I use on a job. Truck is the way to go. Who would want to put pulled up carpet in the passenger compartment anyways?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:36 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Tyler wrote:
Do you guys have any custom shelves/storage bins in your van or truck? I'd appreciate any advice on building/buying a good shelving setup.

Custom (i.e - made it ourselves) shelving up both sides.
Full driver's side wall holds the big tools and cardboard "pipes" from carpet rolls for transitions & moldings.
Shorter door side holds odds n ends - extensions cords, radio, fasteners, a drawer for stains, rags, gloves, etc. Hoses hang from this side, too.
Slats across the interior roof hold more transitions & moldings.
Exterior roof-rack for the occasional odd haul.

And pretty important - the steel cage seperating cargo area from passengers. More than once we have short-stopped and had cartons of wood come flying up that without the cage, would have been bad news.

Oh, our cargo door is the open-out type. Or old van had the slider type which was more convenient for loading/unloading. If you have a choice, I'd go with a slider type.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:06 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

For hauling tools and some types of materials, vans are great. But for me, the downside is greater than the positive. My new F-150 SuperCab rides like a car, gets better gas mileage, can tow over 9000 lbs and I got a matching Leer cap on order to secure what's in the bed. I did at one time use a van. However, smelly old stain rags, poly and thinner just doesn't cut it. I suppose I could get an old beater but why. Most of the time, I'm not hauling tools. My tools are on site. I'm just going to and from work. I get all my materials delivered to the site typically. And for hauling 4x8 sheets of plywood, I'd rather have a truck. If money were no object, I'd have both. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:00 am 
Site Admin

You guys make some good points especially Gary and the plywood factor! I've been there and it's a royal pain.

Anybody have pics of their trailers?

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:22 pm 
Newbie Contributor

'02 F-150 FX4 truck with Wells Cargo 8'X12' trailer....works great and allows for install and finishing equipment together. Plus if I take a few things out I can haul some product too! Helpful when the local distributor wants $75 dollars for delivery charge and he's only going 15 miles. :o

Post subject: I use van.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:37 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I think if you can afford a trailer and a truck then good for you. I have full size van. I have built custom shelves inside.
I have made it form plywood. When you open back doors you can slide big chap saw on your bottom left, on top there is one vacuum,van is divided in the middle, so I can put long boards, baseboards, T moldings and so on. On the right bottom side I have four tool boxes, on top of the boxes table saw and on top second vacuum. It is good to have a two vacuums if you do refinishing.SO the back is totally build up. On the side I have access to three big closed shelves , where I keep sand papers and small things. Guns and compressor, sander, buffer and so on is on the floor.
I love it after I have build my "little house" inside the van.
It is very heavy now so of course takes more gas, uses the brakes faster, and tires. I have thought of building the custom shelves for a while because this made my life much easer.
I spent 3 weekends building it. One weekend with my friend who is a cabinet maker.
Before doing this project I have search around for van shelves. I could get a kit for $2000 and up . That would be just the shelves on the sides of the van.For an electrician or plumber it is a good solution not for a floor installer.
Now I can take one day job, small kitchen and unload my tools do the job great , pack everything back and go home.
Before I had pick up Toyota and ford F150 I like van better but understand it can be the personal preference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:52 am 
New User

mrafalek's setup sounds really well thought out. Do you have any pictures of your plywood shelves?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:20 am 
Newbie Contributor

I started out with a cargo van, then got a 5 x 10 cargo trailer. I do S & F with the van and keep installation in the trailer. Less switching tools around.