Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: true or false
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:12 pm 
New User

this site is great.I have read alot of the Q and As and learned alot. So I have a few questions myself,about things I have heard.So here I go.Do you need felt paper under 3/4 nail down if it is on the second floor?? Do you have to glue the but joints of 3/4 nail down 4 inches wide or more?? when nailing 3/4 on osb do you have to run strips of const adhesive this of course doing away with felt paper ?? What do you guys think about glueing the last 3 or 4 rows along with nails?? One distributer I deal with sent me a polorid film roll 4 feet wide in place of felt paper (didnt use it) has anyone heard of this?? I think that about does it for now. I look foward to hearing from you guys. Thanks........... Buy the way way please forgive any miss spelled words and errors, I am new at this computer thing and I went to Detroit public schools Its not my fault :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:40 pm 
Prized Contributor

Felt paper reduces if not eliminates squeaks that would certainly appear, if you didn't use it. Makes the boards slide easier when installing, too.

Never heard of gluing the but joints of anything but a floating floor! I've heard of pegging the ends in plank flooring, but have never done it myself.

Depends on the OSB. Some of the older(JUNK) I would, as it didn't hold a fastener very well. If I go over OSB I staple instead of cleat, as they hold stronger and have collated ends.

Gluing and nailing is overkill, I usually do one or the other. If you have a picky client, you may want to just glue them as they may have a fit if they see it top nailed. Although it is standard to top nail and not a installation defect.

Sounds like the distributor sent you some 6-mil poly moisture barrier, It goes under the home in the crawl space, to cover the moisture coming from the soil, without it you new floor could cup, especially if you don't have a moisture meter to check the subfloor and the wood flooring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:08 pm 
New User

thanks for the reply floorguy. Iagree on the felt I always use it, even if just to cover my own butt.

When I first started doing floors the company I worked for used to glue on osb but I havent done that in years. From my understanding the quality of that stuff is much better these days.

As for the gluing of the last few rows a bruce rep told me that it voids the warrenty due to expansion, dont know if thats true never checked.

I dont know what that polaroid stuff was,but they said the nwfa claims it to be a mostiure barrier, in place of felt. I just went and got felt and sent that stuff back.

thanks again

I enjoy talking to you guys

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: true or false
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:32 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Asphalt does more than act as a VAPOR RETARDER (not moisture barrier), it acts as a slip sheet for ease of installation, keeps dust down, helps prevent sqweeks, and, believe it or not, can aid in the stability of the flooring. It's always a good practice. Bruce used to require gluing the end butts to the subfloors (in place of screwing and pluging) but doesn't anymore. I think on 4" or less, you should be able to nail only. On wider plank, some pros have gone to gluing and nailing, which of course, will take longer and cost more and you will not be able to use felt under the flooring. Some areas of an install require you to glue the floor down because you can't nail it (under cabinet toekicks). So, if you want to glue the last few rows and use less facenails, go ahead. I don't think you're hurting anything BUT it isn't required and I only glue solid when I can't nail it. That Bruce rep is an idiot, like most of them, College kids with zero experience. I knew more after one year of installing then most of them ever learn. Flooring adhesives are designed to allow flooring to expand and contract without losing their bond so gluing a few solid boards should not matter. Face nailing those last rows has been done forever and is acceptable. Try to nail into the darker, grainer area and the holes show less. I've never received complaints that I wasn't able to quickly remedy. About that polaroid film. The NWFA hasn't sent me any info about changing their position regarding the use of asphalt felt under floors or recommending anything else. I suspect your distributor was BSing you. I'd challenge them and ask to see the "memo" or NWFA recommendation in writing. None of us know it all and it could be some new product that has yet to hit the big time but have not heard of it so they aren't promoting it too much. Good luck in your new business. Glad your not here undercutting my prices! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:32 pm 
New User

Gary thanks for the reply,you seem to know alot.

I could'nt agree with you more about those Bruce reps

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:02 pm 
Valued Contributor

Felt is and always has been optional. There are two good reasons to use it. One, it simply makes installation easier and Two, it will keep dust down.

The rest is a bunch of wive's tales in my opinion.