Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: trying to fix a bad stain job due to bad sanding
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:04 pm 
New User

Ok so I'm an idiot... :)

I pulled carpet and sanded my floors but the carpet installers left some marks from utility knifes. I sanded the whole floor with a floor sander (36 grit, 50 grit, 80 grit) and sanded out the cut marks by hand and did a horrible, sloppy sanding job. I stained the floor and of course my sanding job showed.

So I resanded the bad area with 80 grit to match rest of floor, removing the stain and stained just that area. It's lighter then the rest of the floor so I stained the area again with a rag damp with stain. It's still lighter and doesnt match the rest of the floor.

Should I just resand the entire floor again to get the stain to match?

Here are some pics:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... ba7ede5ca2

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: trying to fix a bad stain job due to bad sanding
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:17 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Judging from the pics,I'd say back to square one.Try using 40 grit on your first cut. I use my drum sander to work on those stubborn lines/scratches.It takes a bit of finesse,but can be done with practice.Just work on the lines first.Go back and forth across the lines,in the same direction as the flooring with 40 grit drum paper/belt.Be very careful when dropping the drum,and when lifting it,learn to slowly touch the drum to the floor,and slowly pick it up,and you should always be walking.Sand approx. 3-4 feet across the scratches,being careful not to leave a noticeable dip.After you sand out the lines,then cut the entire floor with 40,60 and 100 grit.Do the edges,screen it with buffer,clean it,and then you're ready to stain.Never spot sand a sanded floor.If you cut it again and still see lines,they're probably not coming out.Just remember,no spot sanding after the drum sanding.Hope this helps.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: trying to fix a bad stain job due to bad sanding
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:17 pm 
Valued Contributor

looks like golden oak stain...easy to fix..

u will have to sand at least half the room..the obvious half..restain it...it will blend as long as u finish same grit...

as for the cut lines....i find it best to X them,then with grain..then cut rest of floor with finished cuts..

Profile E-mail