It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Two Hickory Choices
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:08 pm 
New User

We have narrowed our options to two choices:

A) Armstrong 3/8" engineered hickory 5" planks
B) Virginia Millworks 3/4" Solid hardwood, 5" hickory planks

Some tell me to get the engineered because hickory shrinks/swells a lot as a specie, especially in such wide planks.

Others tell me to get the solid hardwood because it can be sanded/refinished if ever needed. It would also save me $2,000 because the engineered stuff needs a 3/8" subfloor added beneath it to get us back to the required 3/4" height.

Can someone help me make the right decision?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Two Hickory Choices
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:29 am 
Prized Contributor

Is your house over a crawl space or a temperature controlled basement? Crawl space is usually a bad idea with solid wide plank hickory, some area's of the country its ok but here in the south east forget it! If it were me Id want the 3/4 floor but would know that its temperamental and has to be done correctly. Correct is not difficult nor does it mean its more money, it just takes a little due diligence to find the right person for the job. 5" solid hickory needs to be acclimated to the homes normal living conditions. It HAS to have a moisture content within 2 points of the subfloor and has to stay that way year round.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:01 am 
New User

OK - To clarify, it is new construction on the first and second floors of the house, with a temperature controlled basement underneath the first floor.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:33 am 
Site Admin

How about a 3/4 inch engineered Hickory?

And then engineered ash hardwood flooring

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:09 pm 
New User

That would be ideal if I could find one. All the 3/4" hickory we found was solid hardwood. All the engineered was 3/8"

Do you have a product in mind that is 3/4" and engineered?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:29 pm 
Prized Contributor

not many 3/4" ones but there are several 5/8" which gives you a 4 or 5mm thick top. Its very close to the same wear layer as a solid. Some brands I like are REalWood Floors, Owens, and Townsend by Maxwell Flooring. All have to be finished in place which if your building a new house thats the way I would want it anyway. Prefinished is nice for remodels and people in a hurry. Havent seen a prefinished floor yet that could hold a candle to a well sanded and finished floor. Its a lot like antique furniture, you dont see people hunting down production made stuff, they want something handmade and unique not a cookie cutter version that every third house in the neighborhood has the same one. Custom homes should have custom floors they deserve it, when you read a listing for a new home the things that are always listed hwd floors, granite tops and high end appliances. It baffels me how people will spend more money on their appliances in the kitchen than their whole house full of flooring. Im ranting a little here so dont take this personally but I just left a million dollar home with a prefinished floor and I just kept my mouth shut, the people were happy with the floor so that makes me happy!

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

Has to be some smaller operators out there that are milling 3/4" engineered. Here's one...Heard many good things about them too.

http://www.schaferhardwoodflooring.com

Looks like a Hickory on their home page...and they do manufacturer 3/4" engineered. They call it perfect for arid climates too. There's even a mention of prefinished. I'll guess the price is up there though.

http://www.schaferhardwoodflooring.com/ ... ed/hickory

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:31 am 
New User

Thank you both Ken and Kevin. Some great counsel here.

In regard to the "Finished in place" floors - can that be done if we want to achieve a hand-scraped finish? Or can that only be done for a smooth finish?

David

Profile E-mail