Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Two or three coats of urethane
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:24 pm 
New User

We are looking to have 500 sq feet of existing prefinished floor sanded past the bevel and having another 600 square feet of new floor installed with it. The quotes we have received will "feather" the new flooring into the old floor.

An option we don't know if we should pay for is an additional third coat of urethane (around $550 more). A water based finish would be an additional $400 on top of that. I do not know the brands but after reading here I will be asking.

We have no dogs and our kids don't play that rough on the floors. All of the scratches on our current floors are from my wife & I, not the kids.

What are your opinions on the options?
A) 2 coats urethane
B) 3 coats urethane for +$550
C) water based (3 coats) for +$950

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Two or three coats of urethane
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:41 pm 
Valued Contributor

I generally feel that our industry standard for oil or water based finish is 1 coat of sealer and two finish coats or just three coats of any urethane finish. I can get into reasons for that if you like but for now I'll just say that I don't feel I have completed a proper job until I have laid three coats down on a customer's floor.

As for pricing, I would normally price sanding and refinishing of a pre finished floor at about $1.75 per square foot (three coats of oil based urethane

I would generally price sanding and refinishing of a pre finished floor at about $2.50 per square foot (1 coat water based sealer and two top coats of Bona traffic)

If your contractor is offering to sand and re finish for $550.00 total (3 coats oil), I'd say that's very cheap. If he does quality work, you're getting a great deal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:04 pm 
New User

Thank you for the reply. I wish it was sanding and 3 coats for $550.. ;) The total prices are almost exactly what you quoted. This contractor that we are seriously considering put new floors in a neighbors house and he did a great job. When searching for his company he did a $40,000 floor in a $3.8M house and he showed us many more incredible jobs he has done. He comes off as being a craftsman proud of his work. He isn't the cheapest but also not the most expensive. In a way I feel cheap for not just going with the 3rd coat for $550 but I want to be sure it's needed. He is highly recommending three coats of the urethane. He stated that most customers go with it, most home builders do not because they are cutting costs.

The $550 is on top of the base quote. Here is the wording on the quote:
base: installation of 2 1/4" red oak, select & better, and finishing with stain and 2 coats of oil based urethane $x,000
Option: 3rd coat of urethane, $550.
Option: water based, additional $400 on top of 3rd coat.

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:51 pm 
Newbie Contributor

you do not say what rooms you are having finished. Kitchens and high traffic halls, etc definitely benefit from the extra coat. I personally prefer the look of solvent based finish on natural and darker floors. Water based finish is great on maple and white stained oak as the film is a whiter color, rather than the amber of a solvent based product.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:18 pm 
New User

This is for our entire first floor (1000 sq feet of hardwood). Right now we have approximately 500 sq feet of Bruce prefinished hardwood and 500 sq feet of carpet (our house is actually 1200 sq ft per floor but it's been measured at 1000). We are ripping out the carpet and want 100% hardwood. It is very high traffic so it sounds like the 3rd coat would be wise. They are only charging $.50/sq ft for it which is a lot cheaper than the other coats/sanding/etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:20 pm 
Valued Contributor

kevitra wrote:
This is for our entire first floor (1000 sq feet of hardwood). Right now we have approximately 500 sq feet of Bruce prefinished hardwood and 500 sq feet of carpet (our house is actually 1200 sq ft per floor but it's been measured at 1000). We are ripping out the carpet and want 100% hardwood. It is very high traffic so it sounds like the 3rd coat would be wise. They are only charging $.50/sq ft for it which is a lot cheaper than the other coats/sanding/etc.

if you have the money, the 3rd coat is worth having. I have been in this business for over 15 years and have seen many spec homes and sub division homes where the finish is only two coats and wears right off. In many cases, the builders would ask for lacquer which is garbage . Also, one of the better known flooring contractors in my area is famous for putting down a coat of lacquer, waiting an hour and slapping down a coat of moisture cure urethane.It looks good for about 1 or two years before it wears off the floor and greys out.

Again, I really don't feel that 2 coats of urethane on a floor is sufficient in most cases but three coats applied at manufacturer spread rates is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:43 pm 
New User

Thanks Paul.

I spoke to him again and after talking to him some more and based on what you guys are saying we are going to do the 3rd coat. $550 is very little compared to the total cost and if it really makes it stronger it will be worth it, assuming they properly apply it and don't cut corners. Based on what I've seen of their work I don't think they are that type of operation.

How long should it take for them (days) to do 1000 sq feet, one coat of stain, three coats of urethane? What factors are involved in the drying time (can they add chemicals to speed it up, etc)? I want to be sure they don't rush the job.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:28 pm 
Valued Contributor

Depends on the size of the crew and the layout of the job. Should take between 3-5 days for the refinishing, not including the install.

Profile E-mail