Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: TYPE OF FLOOR FINISHES
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:40 pm 
New User

I have had two bids on flooring. Both are similar in price, but they each use a different finish. One uses a polyurethane (3 coats) the other uses an alcohol based (2 coats which he claims is better than 3 of the poly). Which is the most durable finish? Is there any difference in the maintenance? The area is an entryway, dining, kitchen. I would appreciate your expertise. Also a little off the subject- what is the difference between hickory and hickory-pecan?

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:23 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

I suspect the alcohol-based finish is what we often call "acid-cured" and "swedish finish". Outside of shellac, that is the only type I'm aware of that has alcohol in it. Typically, swedish finishes require the finisher to apply the coats pretty thick and heavy so the finish can flow out properly. This is one of the few finishes where thin, even coats does NOT apply. So two coats of swedish may very well equal three coats of standard oil-modified polyurethane as the coats are usually thicker. Acid cured finishes, for the most part, are more durable and amber over time less than oil-modified polys but quality is important as well. I've seen high quality OMU finished floors last decades (like the ones I did for my father) and acid cured floors wear out quickly. All floor finishes should perform well IF properly maintained. That's the key. NO finish will hold up to neglect and abuse. About hickory/pecan. So many mills used to blend these woods that they sold it as a blend of hickory and pecan. But they do look different with pecan having less black streaks and character. To me, hickory wood looks a little too rustic. They are about equally hard but hickory is a little more suseptable to movement (less stable). I prefer pecan myself.