Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: type of wood for installation?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:25 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Some of you may know me from Floormasters. And as you know, I'm a Master Finisher with little installation experience. So, now I am being asked to install as well as put a custom finish on the floor.
Here's my question: a customer doesn't want the look of quarter-sawn oak for their plank flooring. Am I right in steering them toward an unfinished, engineered plank flooring with a 3/16 inch wear layer? They were hoping for 3/4 inch thick, solid, but with that width!?!?! . . . The sub-floor is 3/4 osb and I'm here in Prescott, Arizona (for climate information).
How does Carlisle offer solid plank without warping?
Thanks in advance.
Charlie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:36 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Can-o-worms,but first, what exactly is a Master Finisher? Does one become a a master after so any years, is there a master program, does another master proclaim one a master? And who made the mastermaster a master?

Anyway, Carlisle is advocating procedures not recommended by nwfa or nofma. They say to scratch the moisture barrier and use glue with the standard cleat/staple. This is a stunning reversal of long-standing industry standards.
I suppose if they say it works, theyshould have to warranty any cupping, but I'd bet money they exclude any and all moisture issues. I am not familiar with your climate, you should ask around your local area. I regularly see 3/4" plank floors in my mediteranean climate that are cupped.
One way to hide the inevitable movement is to use v-groove. Downside is they are dirt collectors. Another popular option in some regions, such as SF bay area and Seattle is to use 5/16". They are face nailed every inch across in rows 7" apart.

www.theoakfloorsofmarco.com