Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Using lights to check fine edging
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:17 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I’ve had success with training new workers to do fine-grit edging by giving them a light bulb to use for seeing what they’re doing. If they hold the light six inches above the floor, they can see every rough grit mark they’re missing. They can see the dips and gouges for themselves.

I used to use 100 watt incandescent bulbs, but they’ve been outlawed in our state. Now I use Craftsman LED light sticks. One has 64 LEDs. The other is a re-chargeable 32 LED model, and I like this one better. The best thing about the LEDs is that they can handle rough treatment. A worker can move it along the floor with their foot while they edge.

Using this method, I’ve been able to trust temp workers to do fine edging on a big job. It takes them a little time at the beginning, when they have to use the light constantly. After about a half hour, they’ve usually figured out how to feather out their mistakes, and they don't need the light. I still have them go back and check their work with the light, and I give it a quick check when they're all done. For the most part, it's competent work at that point.

The temp agency I use has people who know how to handle tools, and that’s a big plus. But even people who are good with tools don’t necessary know how to feather with an edger. If you give them a way to check their work, they can figure it out a lot quicker on their own.

I don’t know of any company I work with who have working lights on their edgers. I took mine off years ago—the bulbs didn’t last, and they were expensive.

We also use the LEDs while we scrape and hand-sand for stains. On cloudy days, we might have to keep them right next to us. On a sunny day, I’ll use the light to quick-check a whole room after I’ve scraped it. It’s just insurance at that point.

Halogens also work well for this, and we use them sometimes. They tend to be more difficult to have around, because of the heat issues.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Using lights to check fine edging
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:10 am 
Newbie Contributor

I always have lights on my edgers. And we use lights when we fine sand edges with orbitals. Have no idea how to work without lights!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:32 pm 
Worthy Contributor

My workers use lights because I require it. Otherwise, there is resistance to using them among the other companies I know. Of five other companies I'm familiar with, none of them have lights on their edgers. They don't use lights to trim--don't even have any for dark rooms, or dark days. My business partner came around to using lights, but even he uses them as little as possible. I acknowledge that my eyesight is not what it used to be, but I was using lights when I was in my thirties, too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:31 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I find lighting a must to do an efficient edging job. Shadowing the wood, . . . .keeping the light as close to the floor as possible.

This technique easily shows your unwanted abrasive makers and is more effective in showing your over-wood.
example: https://www.flickr.com/photos/procomfor ... 289474785/
http://youtu.be/7OF67y4JAO4?list=UUwXjd ... cvGAh5fN6A

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:59 am 
Worthy Contributor

Using lights and orbital sanders can slow down the trimming process, and that could be a big reason why other companies I know don't have them. It adds a lot of electrical cords to the job. It also means additional items to carry in and off the job.

The LED stick is re-chargeable, but I've found that the best light comes from keeping it on AC. It also takes time to check your work--I need to move the light around at different angles to really see.

If I'm working for another company, I pick up a scraper and a file, and I start scraping everywhere the edger went. Then I go back and hand-sand. No cords anywhere. Sometimes I'll bring in the light stick and use it in battery mode on another company's job. But I'm a firm believer in doing things the company way, whatever that is. It's their job--you show up and carry out their plans the best way you can.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:56 pm 
Valued Contributor

I edge primarily with a Clarke/Alto 7R . The on board bulbs work well and tend to last for 1 to 2 months for me . On almost all jobs , I go around with an orbital or my multi disc buffer attachment and a light to make sure the edges are excellent.

It's also important to use a buffer with a light .My bona buffer has a nice fluorescent light that shows up a lot.But most companies don't care , which is why they don't use lights

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:31 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Advancedfloors wrote:
Quote:
.... most companies don't care , which is why they don't use lights

It's not that easy to explain, Paul. These other companies do excellent work; I know, because I work on their jobs. We work in 5 million dollar mansions; dark stains, semi-gloss poly. Three of them keep up the quality by overkill--they scrape and hand-sand every square inch where an edger might have possibly gone. I'd have to say there's a macho attitude about this, and that includes the woman who runs one of the companies. It's almost like if they use lights, they're admitting that they can't see as well as they did at age 20. These are good friends, but I can sense some anger and scorn when I bring in a light. And as much as my business partner sees the benefit of using them, he resists actually doing it, on his jobs or mine.

It's good to hear from those of you who do see the benefits of good lighting.

Profile E-mail