Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Using one brand of oil over another / black dog urine stains
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:18 pm 
New User

My issue is a little long so I hope you can stick to the end...

I have a few questions and issues with an engineered/ pre-finished floor I got from Europe. Installed about 2 years ago. Brand is Mafi. It's white oak, lightly brushed and oiled with a very natural/ no chemical / pure linseed oil. No wax. As natural as it gets. Fairly matte. If I buff it with a white pad after soaping it has a nice satin sheen. It's used throughout the house including the kitchen and bathroom. It's mostly a great product except for two issues. Maintenance (with a soap that has some oil in it) is labor intensive and often, (slave to the floor) particularly in the kitchen as it is not water nor stain resistant. A couple weeks of cooking in the kitchen can look pretty dirty with stains. I have a rug by the stove and the sink otherwise it would look terrible all the time. They do have a maintenance balsam oil that makes it a bit better when used every six months.

Problem number two happened in the living room. It's a step down room so it is it's own environment and does not connect to anything else in the house. A rug was covering most of the floor. Unfortunately we had someone house sitting for a couple of months. The sitter left our dog too long inside without letting her out to pee. It wasn't until recently that I noticed that she peed on the rug. Dark deep black stains were the result on the oak floor. Half a dozen stains. The room is about 400 square feet. I tried every product possible and every trick to be found on the internet, it went too deep. I had to sand the floor to get it out. Unfortunately it removed some of the bevel of the planks that were involved, and of course some of the beautiful brushed quality of the planks. C'est la vie.

So now I have a floor that has some raw spots. Also the floor is lighter from sun damage. So there are different shades on the planks. I'd like to not sand anymore as it will just destroy the whole original brushed feel of the floor.

I'd love to find a product that gives more protection in the kitchen against water and stains, and that can re-coat the floor in the living room. I would redo the whole house so I can have a product that is less maintenance as well. I'd prefer to stay with an oiled or hard wax oil that has a natural feel and can be spot repaired.

Of course most manufacturers recommend to remove all stains and old oils before using their product. The only manufacturer that has a deep intensive cleaner that acts as 'sanding' is Osmo with their intensive cleaner. So maybe that is an option. Rubio mono coat needs to be sanded. Ciranova needs all coats removed. Pallmann seems to have a flexible product with Magic oil 2k.

Anyone that can help ? I saw a few tests online that put different brands of oil on top of each other and it didn't seem to be an issue.

https://www.peakoak.co.uk/guides/can-i- ... r-another/

Does anyone know of a product that would not interfere with the old natural oil without having to sand it. Also, how do I make sure that the sanded parts in the living room get the same color as the rest of the room that has not been sanded. Does two coats just eliminate the difference ?

Thanks for all your knowledge.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Using one brand of oil over another / black dog urine stains
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:26 pm 
New User

And how can it be eliminated then?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:43 pm 
Prized Contributor

Usually two coats of oil are going to be used to seal the wood and add some protection from water and abrasion. The oil soaks into the wood surface so some is below the surface. After finishing the surface will be affected by light because it is wood and wood bleaches with exposure to light over time. This is called patina.

The natural oil finish has been around for a long time with the same advantages and disadvantages. Cleaning an oiled floor in the kitchen is a problem.
Keeping the floor clean, by following the directions provided, will in the long run mean less maintenance. Area rugs help with this, but keep them clean, too.
A film finish takes less maintenance, but will usually need to be sanded to bare wood for the film to penetrate into the surface.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:28 pm 
New User

I get it, thanks for the recommendation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:40 pm 
New User

For instance, what I can say about cleaning is that you should definitely think of frequent scheduled cleaning if you have animals. The dog could defecate on the tapestry and so on. Before that I had to happen. You need to know, yeah and basically how to purify it. Detailed information about best cleaner for dog urine on hardwood floors https://cleaningproductslab.com/cleaner ... od-floors/ on wood floors has been found. This information, I'm glad I found. Everybody is to read it, I advise.

Profile E-mail