Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Very Sad and Upset -- Builder has scratched BR-111 Stairs
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:20 pm 
New User

HELP ME PLEASE!

I have yet to take occupancy of the home and my stairs -- especially the stairs noses are full of scratches and in (2) places gouges. Buffing did not help.

If sanding my only option or could the straches be filled (colored) and then a new finish applied to seal.

ANY HELP would be most appreciated! I am just SICKENED not to mention the vile thoughts I have toward the builder.

Thank you,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:37 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

If the builder, or one of his subcontractors, is responsible foir damage to your home, then he needs to repair it. Sanding the stairs could be done but IMO, I would want a replacement. The reason is that even if refinished, the stairs most likely, will not look original (like factory finished) and probably not match the factory finished flooring. It may only take replacing a few pieces of nosings and boards. This would be may choice.

Post subject: Recommendations for BR-111 Scratched Stairs
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:13 pm 
New User

Dear Gary,

Kind thanks for your prompt and informative response! Yes, I do whole heartedly agree with your recommendation and have talked with the original installer who did a "beautiful" job. He is concerned that pulling up the stair noses will also impact other wood on the stairs. Do you REALLY think this can be done without impacting wood on the stairs?

Wholeheartedly agree the builders and his subcontractors should be held responsible and I am taking the necessary course of action(s) to ensure they are. That said, I need a "best", "cost effective" and "timely" recommendation for solution.

In your respected opinion, how much impact (between the original finish) and newly sanded finish will there be? Essentially, will someone other than a trained eyed be able to see the differences?

Pointedly, I am wondering if my installer (who is a craftsman, truly) can color, fill, repair and reseal the scratched stair noses and a few boards on the stairs with having to undetake a full sanding and/or replacement?

I looked on the Bellawood site and swa they had a touch-up kit for pre-finished flooring. Is this an option?

When deciding on the hardwood flooring options, I evaluated both Bella and Br-111 which both have an aluminum oxide finish. The former is 50 year and the latter is 25 years. Needless to say, neither warranties probably apply here since the builder did not exercise "just conduct".

Outside of that, which I am seeking advice on the best, most cost effective solution.

Kind thanks for any further input and recommendations. As you probably know, I have to deal with the current situation at hand and resolve "other issues" all in good time.

Again, kind thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:06 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Quote:
He is concerned that pulling up the stair noses will also impact other wood on the stairs. Do you REALLY think this can be done without impacting wood on the stairs?

It depends on how the nosings and flooring were installed. If they are glued down and to each other, yes, it will be difficult and an entire tread may need to be replaced if the individual piece cannot be removed without damaging others. If only nailed, it will be easier. Only your installer can answer this well.
Quote:
In your respected opinion, how much impact (between the original finish) and newly sanded finish will there be? Essentially, will someone other than a trained eyed be able to see the differences?

IMO, it think it will be noticable. Furthermore, IMO, it is not very cost or time effective. To refinish an entire staircase, two 8 hour days will be required plus materials. Aluminum oxide is a difficult finish to remove.
Quote:
Pointedly, I am wondering if my installer (who is a craftsman, truly) can color, fill, repair and reseal the scratched stair noses and a few boards on the stairs with having to undetake a full sanding and/or replacement?

It depends on his skill level and experience at doing this. It can be and is done often. There are many "tricks" one can employ in repairing wood floors to disquise damage. How successful he is will depend on him, the repair person.

IMO, I would opt for replacement. You may wish to attempt to repair just the damaged boards and hold off on any settlement until you are satisfied. But I think, in the end, replacement of the damaged boards and trims are your best option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:05 pm 
Prized Contributor

I agree with Gary 100%

Replace the damaged boards. Unless your builder is going to put the same 50 year finish warranty, on the new finish, and guarrantees it will match, putting it all in writing, with his signature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:20 am 
Prized Contributor

Good stairwork is expensive. I would have the wood replaced.

Profile E-mail