Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Waste Factor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:34 am 
New User

We usually figure in a 7-10% waste factor on jobs. Do you guys charge that waste factor in your labor costs or do you charge for the net SF on labor only?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:52 am 
New User

We charge Labor on the net sq ft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:51 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

I never use that waste factor. 10%? I use 5% and even with that, sometimes will end up with excess, which I'll give to the homeowner if prefinished. But to your question. Since I typically supply the flooring and the labor, I give a package price. It includes all materials, shipping, taxes, labor (as agreed upon), delivery of materials, etc. Everything needed to complete the job. So my figures to the customer are based on both square foot pricing and fixed pricing. It's my opinion that if an installer uses only square foot pricing, whether it's net or gross, he will end up doing something for nothing. Of course, one can incorporate extras into their sq.ft. pricing by adding to it instead of using fixed pricing for extras. But I don't do it that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:24 pm 
Prized Contributor

I will do it both ways. It all depends.

The last one I did, they ordered 2000 sq.ft. according to his measurements and waste factor, I burned through 1850 sq.ft, counting cartons, so I billed him for 1850 sq.ft. I guess, I did charge him for waste, because I charged for all I used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

Doug:

You have a new place?

I was looking at this...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:41 am 
Prized Contributor

If I need to cut and handle 1080 sq.ft. of material to cover a 1000 sq.ft I charge my labor on 1080 sq.ft. That's what I actually handled to get this floor down.

To me that is where the real work is.... cutting, sorting, culling out, taking one board and making two boards out of it. ect. Never had a client yet not able to understand that.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:31 am 
Newbie Contributor

Always charge for material handled not material installed. Doesnt matter what flooring, tile, hardwood, carpet, laminate, vinyl, etc.
Jerry is exactly correct. I usually figure 7%. You never know what gets damaged during shipping, what weird boards arrive when open the box, etc. This particularly happens with tile & laminate floors. Having so much waste i know that i have enough to do anything twice to achieve the best en result. I leave my extra with the customer for the future "in case something happens" scenario. Customer gets a good job, if your a sub the store makes more money, and you as the installer make more money. Everyone goes home happy.
Some customers are picky about the sq ft so then i drop the waste factor. But never lost a job because of it.
The worst scenario is measuring too tight, overlooking a small section, having damaged goods/bad boards and not being able to complete an install. The customer will always be happier having the job done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:17 pm 
New User

Ken,

Yep ......thats me....
:D
Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

I get up that way at least once a year. Have to stop in and see ya next time.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:01 pm 
New User

That would be great Ken......always enjoy visiting with one of the true pros out there.....hope everything is well with you....

I'll keep lurking around here..

Doug