Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Water Based or Oil based polyurethane
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:26 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I've been researching the moisture cure as I thought I may go with this but I think it poses too many issues for my family and not leaning toward this finish.

I have pickled select red oak hardwood floors on my first floor and in a new addition I'm adding I will be installing select red oak. I live in Virginia. I am going to refinish the floors in my house and make everything a natural finish. The floor of the current house and the addition flow together.

I have a dog who likes to slide across the floor now. A 3 year old and a baby on the way. What finish, water or oil based do you recommend. I sholuld also add that we face the South and have floor to ceiling window along an 18' spance of wall that lets in a lot of sunlight during the day. I added a window tint last summer to keep the UV out. Does this amount of sun make a difference on the finish? I also have a carpet that is within 2 feet of these windows that extends about 12 feet. Under the carpet the floor is much yellower or maybe just better looking than the floor under the windows that is exposed. Thanks

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:47 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

The toughest waterbased finish available that I am aware of is Bona Traffic. It is superior in wear to oil modified polyurethanes and is not harmful. Check it out:
http://www.bona.com/?sr=us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:15 am 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks for the site reference. The Traffic even states stronger than moisutre cure. Interesting. A company came out yesterday and recommended water based for my application. Costs .50cents more/sq foot than regular oil poly. Might be worth it.

One more thing with water. He said the semi-gloss in the Bona Traffic would be more comparable to a satin in oil based poly and that the Bona satin is pretty dull(lifeless). I do like a little higher sheen but am concerned about scratches from our dog. Would the semi be okay in the traffic or will I regret the decsion b/c I will see scratches a WHOLE lot easier. I am the type that would hate to come home eveyday knowing i spent money refinishing floors and a few months later could see scratches when the sun rose and shone through the windows. I would rather have the satin look than the scratches at that point. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:22 am 
Prized Contributor

Niether one is going to hold up to a big enough dog claws digging in to the floor. Be deligent about keeping his nails clipped and it will help minimize the damage. Traffic satin is on the dull side compared to most oil based poly imo. I say the .50 cent up charge for traffic is money well spent.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail