Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Water Damage on Engineered Hardwood
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:30 pm 
New User

Hello

I first want to say this forum is an excellent resource for a newb like myself. I have beeen reading the posts to get a feel of my problem. However, I dont think I have the answer I need. Let me explain my problem.

I have bought a townhome. Before we moved in I decided to have eng. wood installed. The tiles were removed. The concrete floor was cleaned and prep'd. I paid someone to have eng. wood 5" placks installed. The planks have the grooves on the sides to lock them into each other. The project was 3/4 complete when a fire was set in the upstairs portion of my townhome. The fire alarm sounded and set off the fire sprinklers. They remained on until the fire engine arrived and turned them off. I arrived 2 hours later to find my wood was under a puddle of water about 1" inch. I immediately called all my friends and we used towels to remove the water immediately. Set the fans on and the southern cal summer heat helped. My question is that this occured on August 8th and the area affected is about 588 square feet. I have noticed 10 planks which have "errupted." There are a few areas which are low spots. I won't be getting insurance money for this as I was not even moved in yet and have spent a considerable amount of money on this wood. My question is, is the enture floor damaged? If so how long would it take for the rest of the floor to errupt, cup, etc? Its been dry for two weeks and most of the wood seems ok to me. However, the contractor the day of the incident explained that he no longer wants to work on the project to finish it unless it is to replace the entire floor as he thinks the entire floor is damaged. I got the same answer for the people whom I bought the wood.

I am capable of fixing the wood myself if need be, just need to get some people opinions on whether the entire wood is damaged or not. Or if I should risk it and replace the damaged planks myself (with a few tips if you have them on how to do it.)

I really appreciate any help in advance.

thanks

harp

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:47 pm 
Valued Contributor

replacement is best, in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:53 am 
Ok Harp,
Let me get this straight. You went ahead and made improvements on a property you didn't have title to yet. And if you had title, how did you get it without fire insurance? Seems to me you do have an insurance claim! And yes, you need to replace the entire floor! No licensed installer is going to stick their neck out on a job that is bound to have problems. Your floors will likely continue to delaminate in various locations. It is unfortunate and I feel for you. I do hope you do have insurance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:28 pm 
Prized Contributor

Replace it or chase it!

Your going to have continued problems with the floor.