Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Water Damage - Repair or Replace?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:51 am 
New User

Hi

Trying to determine if we need to replace our entire floor or just a portion of it.

Background:
We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen. We live on a concrete slab (no basement). Our old kitchen floors are glued down solid hardwood. We had the new kitchen cabinets and vinyl plank flooring installed on top of the old solid hardwood. Our plumber didn't connect a waterline to our refrigerator properly and over the course of 36 hours a pool of water leaked through the vinyl plank and saturated a large portion (about 10sqft) of our hardwood floors near the fridge. This started on Tuesday afternoon, noticed it on Wednesday night. Thursday morning we pulled up the vinyl and had a water mitigation system set up on Friday since we were worried about mold. We believe that the leak spared the cabinets as our floor is slanted and the leak mostly pooled away from the cabinets.

The hardwood floor is warped in quite a few places even after drying out. We aren't sure if we need to replace just the portions that warped or if we should just replace the entire floor? Do we need to be worried about mold if we don't remove the entire floor? Need some unbiased advice. What are the factors for deciding? If we replace the entire floor all of the cabinetry will need to be removed as well. What a mess!

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Water Damage - Repair or Replace?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:40 pm 
Prized Contributor

I hope the removal of all the hardwood floor will be covered by either the plumbers insurance or your homeowners.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:01 pm 
New User

Someone's insurance will cover it but more concerned about if the adjuster will steer us in the right direction, that's why I'm on here looking for some advise.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:18 am 
Prized Contributor

it happened once. Take it out and get the whole problem taken care of. No sense in not replacing all of the problem. Just a little more inconvenience.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:09 am 
New User

Pete A. wrote:
I hope the removal of all the hardwood floor will be covered by either the plumbers insurance or your homeowners.

Agree with the above. In our experience, water damaged floors can be hard to tackle. Once the wood becomes wet it warps and the potential for mold and bacteria growth is very high.

If the insurance covers it, then it would make sense to simply replace it.. It just depends on whether the client has sufficient home insurance.. I'm crossing my fingers for them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:33 pm 
New User

I would 100% replace the whole area that has water damage. No sense in dinking around with cheaper ways just to end up spending more money in the long run.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:14 am 
New User

I had a similar situation, but more and more simpler, the roof leaked, I had to repair the roof, they helped me with this: http://www.newbraunfels-metalroofing.com/

Profile E-mail