Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Water from the next room - will it go back down?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:33 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

So my nice wood floor is working out quite well... I wish I could say the same for the tile the contractor installed.

In the master bath the toilet is leaking, as evidenced by the tile around the toilet cracking and pushing up. My guess is the wax ring failed or wasn't installed right (it's brand new) and is dribbling potty water into the subfloor, causing it to expand, causing the tile to crack and raise up.

I'll have them back to fix that room, but just on the other side of the wall is the nice new bamboo floor I just put in (5/8" t&g nail down). I don't see any cupping or buckling but the strips nearest the wall are raised up a bit. maybe 1/32 inch or a wee bit more, not something you can really see but you can sure feel it.

So here's my long winded question... will the floor go back down after the water source is fixed? My plan is to cut out & replace the subfloor/hardibacker under the tile, redo the tile, and just cross my fingers and hope the wood floor in the adjacent room eventually settles back in. Any ideas on a better approach - does the water usually wick out or will the 1/2 plywood underlayment and 3/4 OSB subfloor under my bamboo stay swelled up forever?

Thanks in advance,

- Bob

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:21 am 
Worthy Contributor

look into finding a contractor who has a injecta-dry system for drying floors. The floor should go right back down no problem. Just don't let them run the de-humidification system as well. it is not needed for the volume of water you have introduced to you floor. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:29 am 
Worthy Contributor

I just replaced hardwood in a powder room in a 1/2 mill house .. the wood was to high for the toilet to seat , so instead of putting a sleeve in the hole he put another wax ring on top of the first one ..