Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Water sealing some bamboo floor
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:19 pm 
New User

Hey Everyone, I need some advice. I just installed a black bamboo floor in a relatively small bathroom (4'x8'). I know I'm going to hear about how bad of an idea this is but I've already taken measures to reduce moisture in the area (anti-clog toilet, superb HVAC, great ventilation, the works). I installed the floor myself and took my time to make sure that the floor was fitted as tight as possible together. I even saved the bamboo saw dust so that I can go back and fill in the one crack near the tub. I was told the floor was was already set up for a bathroom but I'm not buying it. I'd like to install several coats of waterproofing material just as an added benefit/safeguard.

So my big question is what would be the best product to use on the floor and how should it be applied to ensure the optimal results?

The other thing I noticed, is that during install, my father-in-law let me use his pneumatic nail gun to make the install a little bit easier. I only used it on about half of the floor (the other half had the planks drilled out and hand nailed) but I noticed that the staples caused a little cracking in the tounges. Now, none of the tongues had completely split or even come close to seperating but it bothered me none the less so i thought I'd ask some people who have more experience in this field than I. Thanks for your time fellas!

Paint

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Water sealing some bamboo floor
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:16 am 
Worthy Contributor

If you really want to add extra coatings to the floor it is best to check with the manufacture of the flooring to see what they recommend. If the floor has an aluminum oxide finish you will have adhesion issues if you do not take the right precautions. I hear Tykote recoating system works well and can even be done over aluminum oxide finishes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:28 pm 
Prized Contributor

I hate top be negative but....IMO re-coating the Bamboo for "water sealing" is a waste of time. The floor is going to expand and contract, especially Bamboo, let alone in a bathroom. I'm afraid your not going to stop the temperature and RH swings, therefore movement. Your not going to accomplish an impervious moisture resistant floor out of Hardwood. Best thing you can do is try to keep the swings to a minimum, and as much water off the floor as possible.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:30 pm 
Prized Contributor

It's definetly going to void any warranty on the finish.

Now if it was a click, I would say go with the click-seal at http://www.cal-flor.com.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail