Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Water or Swedish?? Odor, Look, Maintenance? Comparisons
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:42 am 
Newbie Contributor

We are refinishing about 1200 sq. ft. of oak on our main living floor.

I have attempted to research finishes, but still find myself wanting some input from "those who do" rather than those who write for flooring companies or associations.

Our refinisher is willing (and based on recommendations) and capable of doing any finish and using any brand we would like. (note that cost of product is minimal in the context of our entire remodel, so whatever is best is what we want!)

Based on all I have read, we have narrowed the choice to a water-based urethane or a "Swedish" finish. From what I have read they are both "clear" and non-ambering, and durable. I have read that the Swedish finish leaves a very strong smell, and can continue to off-gas for quite a while. My questions are:
1.) Is the "off gas" (after 2 weeks, let's say) harmful from a health point of view for either of these products?
2.) Assuming good ventilation for the first few weeks, how long might there be ANY noticeable smell?
3.) Are there other pro's and con's for each finish AND finally
4.) What brands would you recommend for each type?

Thank you!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:47 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

1) An acid-cured (Swedish) floor finish has some very nasty chemicals in it that do continue to off gas for awhile. A quality two component waterbased finish is simply safer. When both are FULLY cured, off gassing should not be a problem.
2) The smell should be negligible after two weeks.
3) Of course there are.
4) IMO, the best acid curing (Swedish) finish is the Bacca-Glitza system. It is the original and still the best. But it is dangerous and difficult to apply. Only very experienced finishers should attempt to use it.
http://www.glitsa.com/documents/baccaSpecSheet.pdf
http://www.glitsa.com/documents/goldSealSpec.pdf

For years, I have been a fan of BONA Traffic as the best waterbased finish available. And it is good. But due to some recent reformulations, I think it has lost some of it's durability. But it is still very good. However, I have recently become convinced that VerMeister IDRO 2-K is the best waterbased floor finish available today. They have some very impressive test results comparing their products to others.
http://www.vermeisterusa.com/finishes.asp
http://www.vermeisterusa.com/durability.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:26 am 
Newbie Contributor

You said "When both are FULLY cured, off gassing should not be a problem."

About how long should EACH type take to FULLY cure?

Do you feel they both have similar durability and appearance?

Thank you!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:21 pm 

30+ days for the acid-curing finish to fully cure. One week for the waterbased. Because Bacca-Glitsa is required to be put down at about 350 ft per gallon (spread rate) and IDRO-2K at 500 ft, the Bacca-Glitsa will appear the be "thicker" when the same amount of coats are put down. Acid-curing finishes can change color somewhat over time whereas two component waterbased finishes do not. Both are quite durable and would perform well in a residence. One thing should be considered. When it comes time to recoat the floors, IF you had a Glitsa acid cured finish applied originally, Glitsa says you must only use more Glitsa to recoat. That could be a problem if it becomes unavailable or you cannot find someone to use it. This is not the case with a waterbased finish. You could recoat with any compatible floor finish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:41 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Gary, I genuinely appreciate your input. When I checked out Vermeister they are now touting a "Hi-Tech 2K" and make it sound even more advanced than the IDRO. Are you at all familiar with this one??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:18 pm 

It is brand new to the US and will be for sale soon here. I have not used it. I am confident it will be a great product. It combines the best of IDRO 2K and High Tech 1K.