Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Waterlox over DuraSeal Quick Coat?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:37 am 
New User

My floor guy is finishing up the handscraping of our new floor, and is about to stain with Dura Seal Quick Coat in Coffee Brown. His plan is then to use 3 coats of poly over that. I am somewhat familiar with Waterlox and would prefer that for the top coat. But, I can't find any information about Quick Coat and what is actually in it, it's no on the Dura Seal website. What is Quick Coat, and could Waterlox be applied on top of it? Thanks so much!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Waterlox over DuraSeal Quick Coat?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:20 pm 
Valued Contributor

I haven't used the Duraseal quick coat before . So I looked it up on the internet and it appears to be a tinted sealer. Or a heavy pigment stain. Either way, it accepts top coats of urethane which means you could also use waterlox instead.

The main difference between waterlox and oil based poly is that waterlox is a very thin ,low build tung oil based product. Poly is a much higher build and more durable finish option.

I have used quite a bit of waterlox and have generally used it in very rustic homes where an old fashioned look was desired or on very old floors that were not able to be sanded as the waterlox is very compatible with most any other finish if the floor is cleaned thoroughly.

Price is another factor . Waterlox is around $90.00 per gallon where a good oil based poly is about $25.00 to $30.00 per gallon. And again, when it comes to build and durability, oil based poly will give you probably three times the protection that waterlox will.

Profile E-mail