Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wavy/squishy spots on newly installed engineered floor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:59 pm 
New User

I have a problem, brought on primarily impatience regarding an engineered floor I just installed in my living room. No, I am not a pro, no I did not test for “flatness” and yes, I knew there were major problems with the sub-flooring (plywood). Tried to work around it, actually it worked out well for the most part – the floors look great. However, there are several areas where the new flooring “is not solid when walked on – it “waves” or is "squishy"! These areas are primarily around the edges of one wall and the fireplace wall.

Is there product that could be “injected” between the new floor and sub-flooring from underneath or above to fill in these waves/squishy spots? I have a stand up crawl space under my house, where the sub floor can be accessed. Or do you have any suggestions how to resolve this problem without removing the new flooring, which is out of the question?

Hopeful in Nashville!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:18 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

did you glue this floor down or nail it?. If you nailed it which adhesive did you use and also what kind of hardwood is it?..solid engineered?..thickness?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:18 am 
New User

The flooring is 3/8" thick, engineered, glued down with Bruce Everbond. Most molding and finishing has not been installed as yet.

Thanks,

Linda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:29 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

You could just nail it down in the areas where it is moving. Use a pin/brad nailer and 1" brads. Then putty the holes with a matching filler. It's the easiest way to handle the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:43 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Gary has your easy solution.

The brad nails have a "T" shaped head so try and get the "T" going with the grain and nail in the darker grainy areas to help hide the brad hole. Your the only person who'll ever know they are there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:29 am 
Worthy Contributor

And just in case you don't have an air compressor, hoses and a "T" nailer, you can use, those little plastic boxes of finish nails they sell for use with paneling. They are finish nails , with annular grooves, in different colors and lengths, (like ring shank nails). They might need a little color putty, but hold well.

Post subject: Thanks to Sean, Gary, SK and Ken
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:10 am 
New User

Thanks so much for the logical (and much simpler) approach to this flooring problem. Am anxious to try it! Over the past few days, the glue has continued to cure so the problem, while it still exists, is less obvious. I am hopeful this solution will alleviate most of the remaining squishes!

You all have been very helpful. Know where to turn if I run into home project problems in the future!

May your holidays be joyful and blessed!

Linda