Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: weather conditions for applying waterbased poly
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:18 pm 
Newbie Contributor

We have new solid oak flooring installed and want to apply the waterbased poly..it is an environmentally friendly product. What kind of weather conditions are necessary? It has been really hot in the area lately..What humidity/weather temps. do I need? thanks

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: watr-borne
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:52 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Klark:
Back in Pennsylvania, I'd use water-based MOST of the time. As long as the humidity stayed well below the temperature, you'd have ideal conditions.
Out here in Arizona, did a maple floor last month; 90 degrees in the house and 20% humidity! Way too extreme as to dryness and temp. But I used Vermeister because they have a retarder. And it worked pretty well.
If you don't have these extreme conditions like I have in Arizona, any 2-component brand should be good for you. If I offer water-based here, I make sure they have a means to put humidity into the air. 28--30% humidity is what I like best for open-time.
Hope this helps. Where are you, by the way?
Charlie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:05 pm 
Newbie Contributor

The basic information you need is on the label, but it's just a guide. More humidity gives the finish more time to flow, and wet edges stay wet longer. Hot & dry, and you have to move fast. If it's too dry, it may not be practical to apply a waterborne finish.
Keep the air movement in the room to a minimum until the finish has skimmed over, then give it air - fan, a/c, open windows, etc. to help it dry.
What type of finish are you planning on using?
Pete

Profile E-mail