Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: weaving old with new hardwood
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:06 am 
New User

I am in the middle of remodeling a ranch built in 1962-completely gutted it-what used to be kitchen, living room and dining room is now one big great room-plus we added a 8 ft x 12 area to this room where a special piece of furniture will go-Original hardwood is in what used to be dining room and living room- the old kitchen and new 8x12 addition does not What experienced has anyone had with weaving old flooring into new-I have been told by everyday Joes that the 2 (old and new) floors will never look the same even if they are all finished/refinshed at the same time-some suggest to pull up the hardwood from bedrooms -use it in the great room area and put new hardwood in bedrooms :shock: sounds overwhelming to me- so the question is Am I better off pulling up all the hardwood in the new great room-getting new or can I use old and new, which is what I truly hope for. Thanks!

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:30 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Depends on your expectations. I've done lots of patching in older floors. Even using the same species, grade, staining, etc., many times it is NOT a perfect match. If you want a perfect match, then start all over with new wood. If you can live with the differences between old and new, than have it patched/weaved in. Most likely, there will be some variance in graining, color, grading, size. Good luck!

Post subject: stain
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:44 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Sometimes if you stain before finishing the stain will help hide the difference between new and old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:27 pm 
New User

Just wanted to post in the event anyone is interested in the outcome. My floors came out near perfect-they did place new hardwood in the addition and in the areas where walls used to be-there is a lot of natural light in the great room therefore the light/dark areas look very natural with the reflection of light-to my suprise the room that did not finish well-was a bedroom-when they stripped it-we discovered the room had 3 different woods in it! :shock: In any event by the time furniture is added you really have to look to see the difference. Nothing better than hardwood floors-gives the house much character