Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: what to do about screws in old hardwood?
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:30 am 
New User

I've recently bought a home which was buit around 1920.
It has had a terrible laminate put throughout the main floor.
I've pulled up the laminate in the hallway and it looks like the original floor is still there. It is still in good shape other than that someone has put a fair number of screws in it at some point (I assume to stop squeaks).

I'm wondering if it is still possible to refinish these floors?
I wouldn't really even mind some discoloration where the screws are - but unsure if it is even possible to refinish with them there - if one could fill the holes somehow? Or does this mean my original floor is toast?

any info would be great.

thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:52 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

You could back the screws out and fill the holes with a matching wood filler. However, the reason the screws were put in (to stop squeaks) may return. If you have access to the floors from underneath, you could address the squeaking that way. Either use glue and shims or drive short screws up from the bottom. Another approach is to remove the screws, use a drill bit that is the same size as the screw head and make the hole gig enough to recess the screw (DO NOT drill all the way through the flooring). Drill down about 1/4". Then put the screws back and tighten down. Then plug the holes with matching wood plugs. If the screws were put in in a random manner (probably), then with plugs or filling the holes with filler, it will look like polka dots after sanding and staining. The floors can be refinished if you either recess the screws or remove them. Unless you very handy, I recommend hiring a NWFA flooring professional to refinish your floors.

Post subject: finding someone for the job -been told we can't refinish
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:47 am 
New User

Thanks for the info.
Thus far the first person I had come in to quote (though they were a salesman with the company) has said they can't do anything with the floor with the screws in it. They are already recessed - though probably a little under 1/4 " .
Is there any way to find a floor refinishing person who might be willing to take on a job like ours?
In a case like this would we need to deal with the screws before the refinishing was done? Or is this something someone can do (and do it right) for us?

I would be content to live with a bit of a polka-dot floor.

Right now I'm stuck with the phone book..
I live in Vancouver, canada

thanks again,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:14 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Flossie,

Go to this website.
http://www.woodfloors.org/consumer/findpro.aspx
It is the NWFA. Then enter your city and it will bring up some NWFA contractors in Vancouver. Yes, the screw issue needs to be dealt with before refinishing. Anyone with some general carpentry skill could recess those screws and plug them but I would check with a flooring contractor first. BTW, I LOVE Vancouver BC. I spent lots of time there years ago (many years ago).