Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What to do about subfloor going under cabinets?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:07 pm 
New User

I am trying to save money and am removing the carpet and linoleum myself before the installer comes. The linoleum has a 1/4 plywood subfloor on top of the regular subfloor so I need to remove it so it is level with the carpetted areas. While this is a time consuming task and endless number of stables to be removed, I am running into a problem This subfloor was put down before the kitchen was done so it runs under all the cabinets. Is there a tool to use to cut through the subfloor where it meets the cabinets? I tried a saw but it doesn't seem to work. I tried a dremel tool but didn't work either. I am thinking about a chisel next, but thought I'd ask here.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:41 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Crain makes an electric saw for toekicks. It's expensive and unless you can rent one, probably not worth the money for a one time use. Bust out the ply as close as you can then hammer and chisel. It's a pain, I know. Done it many times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:48 pm 
New User

Ok.. here is an easy way to do this. Get a BIG crow bar (pry bar, wrecking bar etc) like a 3-4 foot one. Score your edges with a sharp blade... the better you do this.. the easier it will be. Now jam your crowbar under the 1/4 inch ply until you are right up against the cabinet. Push down so that the plywood you are trying to remove gets ripped upwards and breaks right at your score mark. At most you will just have to clean up tiny pieces of ply that are left.. otherwise a clean break.