Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: What's all the fuss with moisture tests?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:56 pm 
Valued Contributor

Just got back from doing moisture tests on a job I am supposed to start on the 16th. The material 3/4 X 4 RO just got delivered Tuesday and has MC ranging from 5.2% up to 11%. It has been foolishly humid here and the customer has no AC not even window units, the subfloor ranged from17% up to 22%. I think we're going to have to wait on this one. If it were for a builder he would say stop whining and put it in.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:32 pm 
Prized Contributor

Floorologist wrote:
Sounds to me in a situation like Scolby's or the townhouse project your pretty much stuck dealing with the GC and not the homeowners, unfortunately. I agree the homeowner is the one to work with, will listen, and wants the job done right. Brings back old memories and concretes the fact why I dont deal with GC's. Just this morning I passed bidding on 2400' for a GC,( the timing of Scolby's post was perfect). The material is coming in tomorrow and wants to start "slamming" it in on sat., trades all over the place, yatta, yatta. Times are tough, but life's to short. Jobs are like busses..there's another one around the corner.

I hate the other trades walking all over my floors. Heard all the excuses before, don't like any of them.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:18 pm 
Prized Contributor

floormeintucson wrote:

I hate the other trades walking all over my floors. Heard all the excuses before, don't like any of them.

That's probably my biggest pet peve. You can about be guaranteed your gonna get stuck fixing something they screwed up.
It's really special when your down on your knees and they almost step on your hands, or trip over you. That's when I have to count to 10 so I dont stick a screwdriver in their leg! :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:38 pm 
Prized Contributor

Jeff, how can they not have AC...This is the 21 century man!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:23 am 
Valued Contributor

Their idea of AC is fans in the windows. I told him even if we wait till the moisture goes down he's going to have problems next Summer. Even worse with 4 in wood.

I don't understand why GCs are always in such a rush to get the floor in ahead of it's time. We generally only need a few days at the most. Why take the chance of someone else doing damage. Even when the contractor asks me to cover the floor I won't. I will leave the boxes if they want but I want everyone to see the condition of the floor when I am done. It is up to the next guy to protect the hardwood, just as they should in any other home.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:29 am 
Prized Contributor

Did a job for some folks last month that were too tight to turn on their air. 115 outside and fans inside. Warned them on the possible effects on the wood, ( not to mention the effects on me), and had them sign off. Couldnt hardly breath in that place, and was drenched all day. Couldnt wait to get home to my igloo.

I cover all completed floors with red rosen, when other trades are coming in. I just make sure the customer has seen the finished product before I cover. They appreciate being consientious trying to protect their floor, and I think it does help the floor and customer relations. If you dont...Other guys come in like cattle and track dirt, grime, all kinds of foreign cr_p.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:01 pm 
Prized Contributor

Rosin paper? I like walking in and seeing a big rip or indentation in the paper. :shock:

Like Jeff i leave a walk way of boxes taped together.

Ain't no way I'm working in 115 degree heat besides being responsible for that mess.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:39 pm 
Prized Contributor

floormeintucson wrote:
Rosin paper? I like walking in and seeing a big rip or indentation in the paper. :shock:

Like Jeff i leave a walk way of boxes taped together.

Ain't no way I'm working in 115 degree heat besides being responsible for that mess.

You gotta get the heavy duty rosen paper, not the tissue rosen at LL :lol:

I lay out the boxes in the walkways also, over the rosen, and double up around areas like the kitchen where plumbers are gonna drop tools.

115 degrees is just another fun day in the sun ! You live in AZ. ( You gotta be a lizzard to live out here, I'm countin the weeks till Fall). They know... no way I'm responsible for how their booby trapping their wood, believe me when I tell you, I covered myself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:57 pm 
New User

It's nice to see the response concerning the proper install relating to moisture. When the jobs are difficult we will normally get the job. The slammers get the big open footage but they still get services on their work.Some of the builders who do care will specify our company so we have some advantage over the slammers. We just walked on one job for a multi million company who had no idea about sanding the joints and was using concrete (yes concrete) to level around the joints instead of sanding. Made a nice big hump. I love these guys.

Profile E-mail