Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What are these stains?? Anyone seen this before???
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:05 pm 
New User

SO we had some cleaners clean our place for the first time. Shortly after I noticed several reddish orange spots on the floor that could not be wiped off, seems the wood might be stained. I contacted them to ask them what they used to clean the floor. They told me they usually use vinegar but maybe they used something they found under the sink. We have some Murphys oil soap that we NEVER USE ON OUR floors because we heard that is a no-no. Ive posted an image below , id love to get to the bottom of this.

*Notice the stains on the left hand side.

http://imgur.com/ohaeiW5

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What are these stains?? Anyone seen this before???
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:01 am 
Prized Contributor

I recently had this color of stain pointed out by a client after we installed a new kitchen floor.
The previous floor contractor was long gone and the owner had tried to clean off the stains. I didn't know what finish was used, but it seemed to be a type of water-based poly-urethane.
I tried to bleach the stain and no lightening. I finally used lacquer thinner to remove most of the discoloration.
First see if lacquer thinner will dissolve the finish by testing in a closet or small area near a corner to see if it will soften the finish.
I wet a cotton ball and kept the area damp with thinner for a couple of minutes.
The result is that it is not as noticeable, but not home completely.
Good luck.

Profile E-mail