Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What contractor is the better deal..
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:36 pm 
New User

Hello everyone,

I am just about to close on my first house. We love the home but the owner did an horrendous job with the floors, so my wife and I both agreed that we needed to get it sanded down and refinished. I hope you can all guide me on which contractor is offering the better deal as I have never lived in a home with wood floors (always carpet or linoleum). I have original white oak floor from 1952 and my the owner was kind enough to allow us to have two contractor check the floors out.

I will highlight my experiences....

Contractor #1:
Came highly recommended from several friends. He arrived with his daughter (came from soccer practice) and immediately took out a wood hygrometer and stated that the humidity in the wood was quite a bit high and that I should get that issue corrected before any work can be done. He then went through the entire house and highlighted spot where there was obvious pets stain and stated that more than likely those would not come out and even going darker would probably not hide it. He additionally advised me that some time ago there must have been a radiator leak due to separation in the wood. He mentioned that he could try to hide and make it better but that's about all without gutting that room to do the job right. The guy was nice and very informative. One thing I found weird was that he looked at my breaker box and told me he would plug from there directly if he gets the job. He left and mentioned he would send the quote as soon as he got home. When asked how long he would take he mentioned 3 - 4 days depending on the weather.

Quote: Based on 1750 SQ home that is empty.
Sand and refinish, natural, with 3 coats water based polyurethane with catalyzed topcoat (basic coating street shoe) and sand and refinish step treads. Also would finish any missing wood work in all closest and finish into the closet. He also mentioned that if sanding did not take the stain out that taking out the section and adding new would but there would still be a slight difference for a few years. If he has to do this 200 dollars for labor.

All told 2900 but talked him down 2600 cash.

Contractor #2:
Came over 20 minutes late. Was nice overall, came and started looking around and taking measurements at the same time. Mentioned the same spots where there were pet stain and recommend I stain the floor darker to try and hide the stains. He also mention replacing but would not give me a ball park figure. Also mentioned the upstair water leak and said the same as the guy above. It was quick and he wrote up the quote right there. The only issue I have is he apparently works with another wood company and does side jobs and night. So the only time he can do the work in during the night and weekends. When asked how long he would take he mentioned 3 - 5 days depending on his work load.

Quote:
For sanding and refinish whole house and step tread. 1 Sealer 2 oil based finish (didn't name it) $2400.

One question I have is the durability of water vs oil. My friends keeps saying oil. I am hoping of the floors to last 8 - 10 years. I have kids and need them to take the abuse.

When I asked the first contractor via email about the above he stated that water can be just as durable if not durable. He also mentioned that he can do it in oil if I'd like using Absco Hi Soild or Fabulon Old Formula. Another reason this guy mentioned he preferred the water based is for his guys. The other contractor stated he does not work with water based finishes as they don't last in his opinion.

So which guy? Which finish?

Thank you for you advice and sorry for the long post. I'm poor so want to make sure I make the right choice.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What contractor is the better deal..
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:03 pm 
Worthy Contributor

The first contractor is more professional, and he's going to be able to work straight through to get the job done. If water-based is applied correctly, it's very durable, especially with the catalyzed coat for a final. I've used water-based for years, and when I go back for the five year recoat for my customers, it still looks good.

Both Basic coating and Fabulon are professional finishes, so either way he goes will be OK. Plugging directly into the breaker box is standard procedure; he'll either clamp onto the main terminals, or wire into circuit breakers.

That's a really low price, though. I have a website that lists prices for home remodeling work; you can type in your zip code and your square footage, and get high and low prices on what a procedure might cost.
For my zip code, it lists the low price at $3.70 per square foot, for 1750 square feet. Our cost of living index is 50% higher than the national average, and that price is fairly accurate.

So I plugged in two of the poorest zip codes in the country--one in Detroit, and one in Georgia. The lowest price per square foot for 1750 was listed at $2.64 per square foot. If my math is correct, your contractor's original bid (before the cash discount) was at $1.66 per square foot, and I'm not including any stairs in that price--that would make the square footage price even lower.

I'm not saying the guy is a hack--he sounds like he knows what he's doing. I'd get a third bid, though. The website I'm quoting is not the final word on prices, but it seems to be in the ballpark for my area.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What contractor is the better deal..
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:51 pm 
Prized Contributor

Which ever one is licensed, bonded and insured, has been educated as in certs, or advanced classes. Stay away from part time handymen.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail