Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What happened to Bona Strong?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:16 pm 
New User

Hi all,

I came across this forum while preparing for my current floor project and I've found it very informative (and strangely entertaining).

I used Bona Strong a few years back to finish a hard maple floor. Now I'm preparing to finish a new tamarack floor and my distributor no longer stocks the Bona products. I looked online and see no mention of Bona Strong on their site. Has it been discontinued? If so, I could either use traffic or mega with the fortifier.

Thanks!
Steve

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What happened to Bona Strong?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:58 pm 
Valued Contributor

I don't know if Strong has been discontinued . But emailing Bona can confirm if it has been. I do know that Mega and Traffic are regular products and use them a lot. Mega with fortifier should be pretty comparable. Traffic would be a step up in durability and cosmetic appearance too.

Another option would be to use Basic coatings Street Shoe. my only gripe with Bona Strong is that it yellows a lot . It's not a very good looking water based finish in my opinion . For Bona finishes, check online with www.floormechanics.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:33 am 
Valued Contributor

i think its safe to assume its gone..I haven't seen it in years..always mega, traffic and naturale and Bona seal

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:14 am 
New User

Thanks for the input, guys. Just to follow up - I emailed Bona tech support and confirmed that Strong is no more. Here is his reply:

"Steve, you are correct that we no longer manufacture Bona Strong. We felt Bona Strong had a great run with us since 1986 but felt it was time to upgrade. The Mega line or the Traffic line would be great over Strong Traffic being the more superior of the two. We also just introduced a new finish call Bona Mega Clear HD which I would say is going to be the closest to Strong when it comes to durability and clarity."

I will probably go with the Mega Clear HD for this project since it seems to have better coverage and may be easier to apply.

Profile E-mail