Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What kind of hardwood species is this??
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:41 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Hi all, trying to figure out what species this is, a 1920's interior door that has a stain glass panel. Ignore the red, used a carbide blade to get as much of the stain out to examine.
Ruled out Maple since there's a lot of secondary grain pores. I don't think Oak because there's no texture/relief.

Birch? Ash?

Thanks!
If you can't see a visible link please paste into a window since I can't figure out how to attach photos here

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205787235537675&set=o.1495269777384093&type=1&theater

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: What kind of hardwood species is this??
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:13 pm 
Prized Contributor

Looks a lot like Luan mahogany, with a red stain on it, very large pores mixed in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:55 am 
Prized Contributor

Hmm, clearly not Honduran Mahogany or any of the others IMO, mahogany has a fine grain and is bownish red.

http://www.wood-database.com/

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:29 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I know! I've stripped some Ribbon Mahog. of my Grandparents' things before (fam's 1st Philco TV Cabinet!) and there's no Ash/Oak like wave to it like this one..
What was Ribbon back in the 50's, Honduran?

Oh and I'm assuming this database is showing mean color, as in no product, ,just bare clothed. This is as bright and consistent with White Oak. Come to think of it White Oak is much more closed grain than the Red my entire Bungalow is. But also without the little secondary pores this shows.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:14 pm 
Prized Contributor

So you have a bungalow, if it was built in the early 20th century, after the liberation of the Phillipines many of the bungalows would have Luan mahogany trim as the forests were harvested and sent to the US. The wood ranges from almost white to brown and reddish. It has the look of real mahogany, but the larger pores are a giveaway. The red color stain that it was finished with is to match the color that real mahogany can have when exposed to UV and deepens.The old varnish over the years turns yellow and gets bumped and dinged so often it is painted to brighten up the interior of the house. It is common to find paint over a stain grade wood as it has been decorated in "modern" style. The characteristic of bungalow style originally was to have the wood varnished, usually with a stain, too. If you would like to know more about bungalow features you can read books by Jane Powell, a late member of Artistic License in San Francisco, of which I am a member. Paul Duscherer also writes about bungalows and is a member. Your library would be a place to find about your home's architecture.
I have sanded plank floors that are Luan in homes built in the early 20th century.
If all your doors were made from this material, the builder save lots using this wood instead of the real thing and luan will pass for genuine mahogany at a glance
after a stain and varnish. The base board and door trim usually was finished the same way in the front of the house.

Profile E-mail