Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What is this floor coating?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:48 am 
New User

Hello everyone,

I own a small flooring company in Chicago and ran across a fllor coating I am having trouble figuring out. This is more for curiosity for me and the homeowner. Any help/discussion is appreciated.

The home is a Victorian home built in 1899 in the city of La Grange,Illinois. This area is know for its Victorian homes. The homeowners have purchased this amazing home this year and are currently gut rehabbing the entire home. Obviously, they are keeping the original wood work and wooden staircases. The first floor trim and hardwood flooring is Oak. The Oak flooring is a 2” tounge and groove.

My question is the upstairs wood floor coating, on the entire second floor, what seems to be original, is pine tounge and groove with room for a few sandings. After looking closely at this pine flooring, it looks like a coating have been applied to the pine that I cannot plce and I have never seen before. The coating is not clear. It looks more like a textured looking paint with a ‘thickness’ to it. Like that of a 1/16th.

To look at it more closely with the approval I took my pocket knife to scrape off a small section of the coating. It is hard and chips. The top of the coating is of orange-ish color and looks like 1.5” yellow hairs/painted lines all over inside the coating. I have never seen anything like this. The coating covers the grain too.
Does anyone know anything about this coating? What it is? Is it safe? Is it safe to remove? Is it valuable? Also, I am having troublwe uploading a photo

I am just curious.

Thank you,
Corey

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M8bwq ... 56SGdpEldI

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood