Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What would you do?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:01 am 
New User

I'll admit it... I'm a DIY'er. I laid my floor down, sanded and sealed it and have now laid my last coat of poly (#4). Didn't want to go to 4 but #3 just wasn't good enough so I sanded it down so that all flaws were removed. Coat #4 has now dried and looks like I threw sand on the floor in some spots, despite the fact the room was immaculate prior to finishing. I say this was my last coat because I feel like I may have dodged a bullet by putting 4 coats down with no real adverse effects to the wood and its appearance.

So with all that said what can I do, or what would you do to this floor. Can I buff it with some sort of polish to take the grit out?

Should I even consider a 5th coat?

I'd hate to leave it as is because the floor really does look beautiful, but at this point in time I really don't have the cash to have someone come in and fix this issue. I appreciate the feedback guys. Your humbled DIY'er - Jim

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:20 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Depends on the size of the floor and the location of the problem. Big floor= lots of more work for what benefit? Is the grit in the finish everywhere or just in one location that may be covered by an area rug or furniture? See where I'm going with these questions? Quality is purely subjective and very few finished in place floors are flawless, even when done by experienced pros. Of course you may buff the floors out again and apply another coat but how do you know it will get better unless you change something (finish, applicator, technique, conditions, etc)? And you can always buff and recoat at a future date as well. In fact, I'd recommend that and let the new finish that's already down cure a little before buffing again. IMO, applying floor finishes and obtaining great results is one of the most difficult jobs in hardwood flooring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:46 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Jim, don't feel too humbled!! You have done what some of the greatest men in the world have been emotionally destroyed by. Men like King Tut, Alexander the Great, and Condaleeza Rice.
"It was the most consuming journey of my life, and the floor was doing the consumption.."-Jimmy Carter

Your Grit is like the one flaw in a persian rug, the one nic in the staute of liberty, and the very lean in the tower of pisa. If it werent for your grit, where will your next self inflicted plex come from...the sheen itself, well fine sir, that wood be absurd. HA HA HA HA HA HA :P

NO but really, Id buff it a again with a Bona Prep Pad. I'd watch those grits shoot in every direction, vacuum and tack...FOR GODS SAKE TACK, and then apply your 5th and nearly perfect glaze of poly.

JAMAL's Wood Floors formerly Buffalo Wood Floors
Albany Oregon

Profile E-mail