Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What would you use to remove adhesive?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:42 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I bought and used an inexpensive oscillating multi tool from Harbor Freight, as recommended to remove this adhesive from small areas on my oak stair treads. Now, I'm planning to remove the same adhesive from a much larger area (100+ square feet) of plywood sub floor but doing so with this multi tool just seems daunting. What would you use to remove this adhesive from 100+ square feet of plywood sub floor?
Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What would you use to remove adhesive?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:01 am 
Prized Contributor

I prefer paint remover to soften the glue, then scrape it off. A putty knife will take it off after it is good and soft. Spread the paint remover on one side of the floor and when it gets soft, use a putty knife to scrape it over to another area without taking it off. It will help soften the glue as you move to the other end of the room. Use it twice if you can, then wrap the residue in newspaper and when it is dry, put it in the trash.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:53 am 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks!

I like the paint remover idea...How much and how do you apply it the adhesive on a plywood subfloor?

As for the putty knife; the oscillating tool might be a less labor intensive option. ;) That being said, what options might be able to clean up larger areas of adhesive at once than a oscillating tool or putty knife from the plywood subfloor?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:29 pm 
Prized Contributor

The putty knife only moves the softened glue from the starting side of the floor to the ending side. It does take time to dissolve the glue. Once the glue has dissolved it becomes a slimy mess that the putty knife only slides on the sub-floor moving the softened glue to another spot to help soften another area. When it starts to evaporate or thicken, more paint remover will need to be added to be effective.
It takes patience, but not hard work because the remover turns the glue to a jelly.
As the glue is softened over the whole room the putty knife scoops the mess up so you can collect it with newspapers. It needs to dry before you throw it in the trash.
If you would like to work faster, use a wide putty knife, or two.
Be sure to read the instructions on the paint remover can. I like methylene chloride type of remover. It seems to work the fastest.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:00 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:56 am 
New User

Adhesive solvents is the best option to remove adhesive from plywood floor. Many chemicals available on the market which are designed specifically to break down old adhesives.

Profile E-mail