Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What's wrong with this floor?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:36 pm 
New User

I purchased a new home in May that sat unsold for six to nine months.
Of course after being there for several weeks we noticed that the floor just did not look right. It seems to have a clear/white film that is popping up and cracking where all the ends of the boards meet. This is occurring over the entire floor, in some places it is even chipping/flaking off. We called the builder, who then had the floor installer come out to inspect. His quote "It doesn't look right" - They are attempting to get a rep from the manufacturer to come and look at it. Honestly, the floor seems to be getting worse. Any thoughts would be appreciated?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:30 pm 
Prized Contributor

Engineered floor gained moisture from the home being closed up and greenhoused. Engineered boards get longer(or try to) when moisture is introduced. The ends have so much pressure it is lifting the prefinish on them. Do the ends look peaked up also?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:01 am 
New User

Thanks for your reply - Yes the ends look peaked or smashed together.
What is the resolution? Replacement? Is there a way to repair?
I would like to know what your opinion of the options before they try and direct my decision. In your opinion - is this the builders, installers or manufactorers issue to resolve?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:46 pm 
Prized Contributor

It is not manufacturing!!!

Yes, the floor can only be firewood now.

The fast paced uneducated builder, pushing the installer to install it when conditions were not ready yet. The installer can't say no, or he looses a big account, but now, it is all going to point back to him, as the concrete miosture, when it is really a dew point issue(or both), caused by the builder closing the home up without air circulation and a dehumidification system running, like the A/C, and it could also have high moisture vapor emissions coming from the concrete.

I would hold both the builder and the installer responsible, and let them fight it out, as long as your floor is getting replaced, no matter what. I have seen a lot of finger pointing, and squirmming in these cases. Be preppared to light a fire under someones rump! and relight it daily! Seriously!