Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What do you think? How long is your warranty?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:41 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

OK, all you pros out there, I need your professional opinion. Here's the situation.
In June of 2003, I completed a large install as a subcontractor for a flooring shop. As part of that install, I reset a toilet. Now, twenty months later, the customer calls up with a problem with the floor in the bathroom where I did the toilet reset. The salesman went out to take a look and says the toilet is leaking around the wax seal. Now there was no problem for all this time but the salesman says it was probably a slow leak. My question; What is the correct thing to do? Repair the floor at NO CHARGE?
Am I responsible? Could the toilet have been bumped hard enough to break the seal? How long do you all warranty your work? Could the wax ring have failed? I know some will say never do plumbing! But it's a moot point now. What would you do? Let's have a survey.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I know some will say never do plumbing!

That's the first thing I was going to say, then I saw you mentioned it. I can't imagine a seal breaking away. Afterall it's all gravity working here when the toilet gets flushed. Almost two years? You never know what happened. Personally I wouldn't do it at no charge.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:07 pm 
Worthy Contributor

How does the saleman know its the wax ring? Is he qualified to diagnose that?
What is the extent of the damage and how much to fix it? How important is this customer to you? Worth a fight or not?
Have a real plumber diagnose and fix the plumbing and take his word, not some floor salesman. More than likely it will boil down to a leaky line or a bad tank seal. Wax rings are meant to prevent gas, not liquids. The system is not designed to rely on the wax preventing water leaks. If the wax failed, you'd smell it.
I've set plenty of toilets, but I will not do plumbing professionally, except for an ocasional reefer hookup.

www.theoakfloorsofmarco.com

Post subject: was that necessary?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:36 pm 
New User

[quote="Marco"] I've set plenty of toilets, but I will not do plumbing professionally, except for...[/quote]

Classy, Marco.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:12 am 
Prized Contributor

Consider this Gary. On a new house the standard warranty period would be 1 year by the contractor. Any problems after that would be the responsibility of the homeowner to fix it or file a claim with their homeowners insurance company.

Why should you or the retailer be expected to offer anything different? This appears to be a claim that needs to be filed with their ins. co.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:28 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

To my knowledge no company warranties their hardwood into "Wet areas" or bathrooms, why should you? Even if nothing is leaking condensation will occur on the toilet, which will get into the wood. Once that wood moves, who knows what will happen to the seal, etc....
If the store wants to warranty it fine, but you shouldn't. You have no idea what may have happened in that bathroom.