Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What is your policy?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:07 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

I signed a contract with a general contractor and took a 10% deposit. He was supposed to correct jobsite deficiencies. He didn't do it. I had to cancel the flooring order (it hadn't been delivered yet) I kept his deposit and gave him time to correct the problems. Now, he says his customers want to change the entire scope of the job (use an engineered prefinish instead) and supply it themselves. They buying from LL. He asked if I want to install it. I would except the flooring is probably going to be some crap. If I decide not to install this floor, am I obligated to return all or a portion of the deposit? There is no mention on my contract whether the deposit is refundable or not. BTW, the jobsite problems are excess moisture. He thinks that by going with an engineered instead of a solid, he will avoid any moisture associated problems. Plus, there are some pretty bad subfloor uneven areas where he tied the new addition into the old subfloor. The guy doesn't seem to have a clue. Should I just bail out and return the full deposit? Or keep a portion for all my efforts so far and still bail? WWYD?

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:37 am 
Worthy Contributor

Seems like there is alot of issues that arent going have a good outcome. You KNOW LL is going to amount to nothing but trouble.

I think since its not written in your contract you should return his 10% and be thankfull that you are away from the job...
If he thinks engineered is going to solve moisture issues, Imagine what he will tell the homeowner when problems arise.

I know passing on work isnt any fun, but youre better off taking the day and rre writting something into your contract stating theat if work cannont start due to issues out of your control/possibly in his control then you get xx amount of dollars of the deposit.

Why should you not be paid, if you had schedualed another job for said day Im sure he wouldnt be happy, but you didnt need to you planned on working for him that day.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:25 am 
Prized Contributor

I would be inclined to deduct my actual time and expenses I incurred and refund the balance. If I did not have to spend any of the deposit I would probably give him the whole retainer back.... sorta like good riddance.

I have never installed their engineered to know whether it's any good or not.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:23 am 
Prized Contributor

I dont know how you drew up the contract but I would be sure to let em know that the cost of installing a floor that is difficult to assemble is going to cost em more.. If they balk then I would give them there deposit back and say nice knowing ya. Sounds like they dont want to address the problems to get it within specs anyway, thats another big flag imo.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:22 am 

Well, I met with the general contractor who provided me with a sample of the flooring the customer purchased. As I expected, it's some run of the mill chinese engineered plank. 1/2" thick, thin wear layer bonded to a 7 ply backer. It's a darker scraped product which works to my benefit as if there are minor width inconsistencies, that won't show very much. Bummer is that the planks are all the same length. So this floor will look funky, IMO, as I don't care for planks all the same lengths (48"). But now they want the entire house done (2000 ft.) and are willing to pay pretty good. It will be nailed down. I expect there might be a little noise as nailing 5" engineered is iffy at best. But I've re-done the contract to cover my butt. All I'm doing is installing. GC is responsible for everything else; demo, prep, furniture, base, vapor retarder, delivery of material, etc. Of course I'll double check all his work and if it comes up short, he either needs to redo it or pay me to do it. Either way, it's a decent job for good pay. I realize the potential problems but he hired an engineer to consult with and rectify any moisture issues. Plus, my contract stipulates I will not warranty any moisture related claims. I know I could walk away but it's hard to turn down a ten thousand dollar labor contract in this tight economy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:39 am 
Worthy Contributor

I wouldnt want to turn that job down iether, but the 5 inch planks with no glue Id have everyone I know double check the wording in my contract. Im sure you already did

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:33 am 
Prized Contributor

I can't speak for this LL product, but I have stapled down quite a bit of 1/2" x 5" engineered from other manufactures. Squeaks have never been an issue for me but I staple it between 3-4" OC using the Spotnails 18ga narrow crown stapler.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:45 am 
Prized Contributor

Jerry Thomas wrote:
I can't speak for this LL product, but I have stapled down quite a bit of 1/2" x 5" engineered from other manufactures. Squeaks have never been an issue for me but I staple it between 3-4" OC using the Spotnails 18ga narrow crown stapler.

Me too, Jerry.

Stapled quite a bit of Mullican 5"

You'll be fine Garry. It would be real hard to walk away from that job, without a fight.

I have to say, $5 a foot is a dream for me and 5" wide boards!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:32 am 

yeah, I have a hard time walking away as well. The job is sorta cut-up so it's no cake walk. 3 bedrooms, closets, hallway, entry, living room, kitchen, nook and family room. Even IF it took 2+ weeks, I'd still be looking good money wise. I'll make sure everyone understands about the potential problems and I'll follow the install instructions to the letter and verifying it with photos. Tomorrow, I start another nice finish on site maple floor, which I get $13.50 a ft. for, which comes out to $10 a ft to install, sand and finish. I thought the economy would be starting to get real crummy but I have these jobs plus three more real nice ones in the works as well. Looks like I'm going to need to hire some help, which is a curse and a blessing. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:00 am 
Prized Contributor

Good luck to you Mr. Gary, I got full faith in ya. I hardly did anything at all in December but now I'm booked into May. Feast or famine... that will never change and lots of 7 day weeks on the horizon.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:18 pm 

Quote:
I hardly did anything at all in December but now I'm booked into May. Feast or famine... that will never change and lots of 7 day weeks on the horizon.

Feast or famine.... so true. I've been pretty fortunate over the years. Jobs just keep coming my way. Some I turn down, sometimes they hire someone "cheaper" but I typically end up working full time. This last DEC was real slow for me as well. I think I worked maybe 4 days? That's cool. It was the holidays and I had some funds stashed to get me through. A majority of my good jobs come from GC's who just want someone they can trust to do a good job on time. They don't need to pay the lowest price in town. I'm typically middle ground for around here but keep my overhead as low as possible. Got to, can't afford to waste money on stuff or people I don't need. But Jerry, my friend, you must always take time to do other things in life besides work. I will occasionally agree to a Saturday to work but NEVER Sundays, never. No 7 days a week for me. I'll work some longs days or whatever but I will not work 7 days a week! Period! I think it's in my contract. :wink: So make sure you always take time for friends and family. Because I can guarantee you, when your time on this earth is up and you're on your death bed, you will not say, "Gee, I wish I spent more time working." :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:13 am 
Prized Contributor

Point taken Mr. Gary.... I for see lots of long 5 day work weeks on the horizon. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:47 pm 
New User

gary i would really consider gluing and stapling that 5" plank. squeaks can be an instant call back, then you start chewing into your profits.
good luck. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:11 pm 

Yep, I considered that. The install plan will be to install some in a small room/area. Then check thoroughly for any noise before proceeding. IF there is any noise or squeaks, then I'll have to get more money to glue it down as well as nailing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:50 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Gary,

I would return the deposit, inform them why you will not work with the product and be on your way. I know the economy is tight, but think of how tight your PERSONAL economy will be if that Chinese $%#^ fails and you are left holding the bill...cause LL are never going to accept responsibility.
If you do accept the job, charge more than you normal would and explain to them why. 1) the finish is usually garbage, 2) The milling also generally sucks.

Remember this, the customers that generally nit pick over the smallest costs, are the ones that USUALLY demand the most in return. I personally do not compete for this market, thought there are many that do and make good money at it.