Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Where to start?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:17 pm 
Newbie Contributor

My flooring is: 3/8 in. x 4-3/4 in. Click Lock Hardwood Flooring and here's my flooring layout...I'm doing all three bedrooms, closets and hallways but neither the bathrooms nor stairs, which I want to refinish, other than an overlap stair nose, where the top step meets the flooring. Where would you pile up the flooring planks to acclimate for each room or area?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Where to start?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:24 pm 
Prized Contributor

I would put one-third in the guest bathroom and two-thirds in the master bath.
Then you will not have to move it again while you prep the floor and lay it down.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:16 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks!
That's exactly what i was thinking but was wondering how any steam from shower would affect acclimation. With that said, where would you start laying the first planks and how would you ensure sure that they're straight?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:25 pm 
Prized Contributor

I would distribute them on the walls in the bedrooms that you will hit last when installing. Your going to have huge rh swings in bathrooms.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:49 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks!
Where would you start installing first planks and how would you ensure they're straight, if walls are not?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:11 pm 
Newbie Contributor

FWIW, The floor joists run the same direction as the lines on paper and I plan to run flooring planks across joists not with them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:55 pm 
Prized Contributor

After you prep the sub-floor by checking for high and low areas, and find the floor flat to within 1/4 inch in ten feet, you can use a chalk line to get a perfectly straight line.
If you neglect to get the floor flat, you may loose any warrantee that comes with your flooring.
We start on the longest straight wall, and the outside wall takes priority, so I would start at the wall at the top of the steps and work away from there.
Your rise on the top step needs to be no more than 3/8 " difference from the lowest riser height to keep the steps up to code. You may need to plane or grind the sub-floor at the top step before you start.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:39 am 
Newbie Contributor

Pete A. wrote:
After you prep the sub-floor by checking for high and low areas, and find the floor flat to within 1/4 inch in ten feet, you can use a chalk line to get a perfectly straight line...
Thanks!
How do you use a chalk line to get a perfectly straight line?

Pete A. wrote:
We start on the longest straight wall, and the outside wall takes priority, so I would start at the wall at the top of the steps and work away from there. Your rise on the top step needs to be no more than 3/8 " difference from the lowest riser height to keep the steps up to code. You may need to plane or grind the sub-floor at the top step before you start.
If starting at the wall at the top of the steps and working away from there, when would you install stair nose?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:17 am 
Prized Contributor

A chalk box holds the string and colored chalk sticks to the string in the reel,
inside the chalk box. When the line is taught between the starting marks at ends of the room, you stretch the string with your finger and then let it go. You need to hold the line pressed to the marks on the sub-floor the sub-floor so the chalk will make a mark on the sub-floor. If you drive a nail into the floor and stretch the other end you can make the line yourself instead of someone else holding the end
when the line is stretched and then released quickly, like plucking a guitar string.

You will have to do some carpentry to get the nosing to be fastened down and still allow for expansion. After planning the position of the nosing and how it will be fastened down, you can lay the floor and finally fasten the nosing in place after the floor is laid.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:47 am 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks!

Starting marks???

Stair nose after flooring, got it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:29 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Pete A. wrote:
...When the line is taught between the starting marks at ends of the room,...
What are these "starting marks" that you speak of and how do you determine where, at the ends of the room, you would make them?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:28 pm 
Prized Contributor

After you have rolled the underlayment foam out and have fastened it down with tacks or staples, you will need to find where the edge of the first plank will be.
After you have determined how far from the starting wall it will need to be, including the expansion gap, you can drive two nails into the sub-floor at each end of the room. Then stretch your string line and "pop" the line.
You will need shims to take up the expansion gap while you work away from the wall.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:05 pm 
Prized Contributor

g9175210 wrote:
Pete A. wrote:
...When the line is taught between the starting marks at ends of the room,...
What are these "starting marks" that you speak of and how do you determine where, at the ends of the room, you would make them?

Why not buy a book. lol

http://www.amazon.com/Wood-Flooring-Com ... 0QXJZRPTP9

http://www.amazon.com/Hardwood-Floors-L ... 0942391624

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail