Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Where to start the flooring
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:57 pm 
New User

Hello all
While I am not a professional contractor, I do like to DIY.
I’m going to start to lay 1/2” x 7” engineered flooring on the upper level of my home soon. I will be stapling it to the subfloor. I will be starting in the hallway, then moving into the bedrooms . My question is, is it best to start at the stair nose or in the middle of the floor or closer to the wall? The wood is tongue and groove.

Thank you in advance
John M

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Where to start the flooring
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:12 am 
Prized Contributor

I recommend that you run the flooring the long direction of rooms, or the dominate traffic pattern. Starting the first row at the longest straight wall will be the easiest and usually make all the outside walls parallel to the flooring. Gluing the nosing after using a skilsaw to cut across parallel to the nosing after the flooring has been laid will help make the joint easier and more accurate if the joint is not exactly 90 degrees.
Wood flooring is not like tile where a room is sometimes split in the middle for equal tiles at the walls. A large room like a gymnasium will be started in the middle so two crews can work independently.
You will need to use spline where you change directions as the two grooves come together, to keep boards edges lined up. I like to use latex sub-floor adhesive where it is not possible to fasten the boards with fasteners. Finish nails hold the boards until the glue sets up, shooting into the softer part of the grain.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Where to start the flooring
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:23 am 
New User

Hey Pete
Thank you for your input

Profile E-mail