Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Whether to remove existing base moldings
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:56 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Hi,
We are replacing existing carpet with hardwood. The room has base moldings but they are not high enough for the hardwood to expand underneath. I have got confusing answers between the big stores/other sites on whether to remove the base moldings and remount so as to allow the hardwood room to expand. I have quarter rounds that are 3/4" thick and am gonna use that.
I have the option to keep 1/2" expansion space between existing base molding and just mount the quarter round to cover it and not have to remove the base molding. But would that be a problem later on?

The other q is about expansion itself. I am doing the instal coming weekend. It being winter (close to it) I would assume that the moisture content is the lowest and so the wood is at the lowest width? The wood can only expand from now on? So with a 3/4" thick quarter round, if I keep 1/2" gap from the base molding, I am giving a gap of 1/2" for expansion and 1/4" for further contraction? Am I right in my thinking?

Thanks in advance......

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:21 pm 
Prized Contributor

That much expansion, the fasteners will shear or pull through the wood.

If it is fastened real good, you get compression set. Or it will buckle before the floor takes up the expansion space.

Post subject: I am sorry I did not understand
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:44 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Hi Floorguy, I dont understand what you were pointing out. Am I ok without removing the base molding or should I remove em?

Thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:02 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I would assume that the moisture content is the lowest and so the wood is at the lowest width?

That's an interesting comment worth looking into. During winter heating months with heating being the key here, hardwood will contract. When it becomes the "lowest width" will be when extended periods of dry heat is introduced into the environment. The hardwood planks or strip lose moisture and contract. The room as a whole will not unless it's a floating floor.

How much contraction you'll see depends on other factors as well. Current moisture content of the hardwood and so forth.

Okay you northern installers feel free to add your experiences.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:22 pm 
Prized Contributor

If it were my own personal home, I would remove the baseboards.

It has always been practiced from the guy I was an apprentice for, many years ago, to use a washer and leave a gap/space every 12 feet across an installation, if it was installed in very low humidity, during the winter and the heaters and fireplaces going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:32 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

That is still a good practice on wide solid planks and gymnasiums; even under normal conditions.