Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Which bamboo flooring for high altitude, and which sptnailer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:33 pm 
New User

We would like to use solid bamboo flooring, but which one. The "moisture content" reading article states use a known brand of bamboo flooring. We live in Santa Fe, N.M. altitude 7,000 ft. I've read a bunch of articles about bamboo flooring problems ( high moisture content) folks are having who live in high altitudes. We are looking at the "strand bamboo", .55 thick (9/16") x 5" wide. Anyone installing at this altitude have any experience with this product?

I would also like to use the "spotnail floor monster", will this work. I'm a retired contractor and have installed a few floors in my time, nail down as well as a glue down floating bamboo floor. I'm considering the floor monster cause I'm too old to be hunched over a floor nailer all day.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Which bamboo flooring for high altitude, and which sptnailer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:06 pm 
Valued Contributor

I have only installed the Teragren solid stranded bamboo They are a top notch product. Another one that looks very good and want to try is Ambient bamboo. I have used the Spotnailer and it worked fine as soon as you get the proper height and pressure.
harold wrote:
We would like to use solid bamboo flooring, but which one. The "moisture content" reading article states use a known brand of bamboo flooring. We live in Santa Fe, N.M. altitude 7,000 ft. I've read a bunch of articles about bamboo flooring problems ( high moisture content) folks are having who live in high altitudes. We are looking at the "strand bamboo", .55 thick (9/16") x 5" wide. Anyone installing at this altitude have any experience with this product?

I would also like to use the "spotnail floor monster", will this work. I'm a retired contractor and have installed a few floors in my time, nail down as well as a glue down floating bamboo floor. I'm considering the floor monster cause I'm too old to be hunched over a floor nailer all day.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:10 pm 
Prized Contributor

I'd definetly go with the stranded in high altitudes. Still must acclimate. I've walked away from a few Hickory and Bamboo jobs up on the mountain near me, the town is at 9,000 ft. No one has any ac up there lol cus you never need it. But boy howdy the temp and humidity swings through the four seasons. :shock:

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:32 am 
New User

The best bamboo flooring to use at a high altitude is Strand woven bamboo due to it's high dimensional stability stemming from the immense density of the product. I would recommend gluing down strand woven bamboo as it is incredibly hard to nail down and should not be stapled making the staple gun not an option for this flooring. Although I have had many installers use staples on strand woven floors a large percentage have needed glue after attempting to staple and finding dimples appearing in the floor.

For high altitude installs acclimation may take longer than with most standard installs. NWFA states guidelines for moisture differences between the flooring and the sub floor which should be followed prior to installation.

Edited by admin: for the,, hummmm I lost count. READ THE RULES

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:27 pm 
New User

Thanks for the replies. We will be going with the Ambient strand woven bamboo. I was going to use either a 1/8" or 1/4" cork underlayment, as well as craft paper. The cork is to increase the height as well as some sound deadening. This is going over a pre-existing pine floor. Has someone tried this?

Profile E-mail